Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Slow build using network drive
Slow build using network drive [message #1072709] Tue, 23 July 2013 10:38
Alan Rouse is currently offline Alan RouseFriend
I don't know if this is the right forum for my query. If not perhaps someone can give me guidance:

I am working on a project that communicates between a base-station and an outstation. Both ends use identical hardware and firmware (an ARM processor running firmware developed on Eclipse using gcc and OpenOCD). To debug the system I ideally want to run both ends simultaneously, using two computers both accessing the same source code. Thus if I make any firmware changes they apply to both ends.

The workspace resides on one PC, so the other needs to access it as a networked drive. However, the time taken to re-compile on the second PC is excessive, which I assume is due to the network drive latency.

I know this is an issue that has been raised by others, and the general response is to use SVN instead of networked drives. However this is not appropriate to my requirement.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Incidentally, the way I configured the second project was to copy the workspace from the first PC onto the local drive of the second PC. I then deleted each folder in turn and added a new folder. I used the Advanced button in the New Folder dialog box to Link to Alternate Location and browsed to the corresponding folder on the first PC. I then modified the Makefile to define the location of the files needed to compile the project as being on the networked drive.

As s second minor irritation, although I can edit any source file on the second PC, and set breakpoints, when I hit a breakpoint Eclipse opens a second instance of the source file, and stops in it. If I make changes to it I need to save them before I re-compile, because Eclipse only uses the first instance to compile. The title bar shows that the first instance is defined as the folder name and file name, so by default Eclipse assumes it to be in the workspace folder. The second instance has the full file path.

I am using Eclipse Indigo, since I found some issues with Eclipse Juno that make it less convenient for my project.
Previous Topic:Variable not resolved error in Eclipse Java EE
Next Topic:Eclipse IDE Bookmarks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:00:56 GMT 2024