Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Fragment fails to resolve if listed after host - Virgo Tools on Linux
Fragment fails to resolve if listed after host - Virgo Tools on Linux [message #1053549] Mon, 06 May 2013 13:24 Go to next message
GianMaria Romanato is currently offline GianMaria RomanatoFriend
Hello,

I am experiencing a strange issue with fragments. Originally I thought it was due to my complex application, but eventually I was able to reproduce the problem with the simplest possible use case: an application made of a single bundle and a single fragment.

I am using Eclipse 4.2.2, Virgo Tools 1.0.1, Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat 3.6.1, Oracle Java 7 (1.7.0_21-b11) on Ubuntu Linux (Both 12.04 and 13.04).

I created two empty bundle projects using virgo tools. One is a bundle (SampleBundle), the other is a fragment (SampleFragment).

The two projects are empty, they only contain the default project structure, files and MANIFEST.MF generated by the Virgo Tools wizard. I only changed the SampleFragment MANIFEST.MF to add the Fragment-Host header.

I then created a server instance using Virgo Tools and added the two bundles to the server. If the fragment is listed before the host, both bundles resolve successfully, but if the fragment is listed after the host, an exception is raised by the quasi resolver, but no reason is given, and a dump is generated.

Started bundle 'SampleHost' version '1.0.0'. 
[2013-05-06 15:10:18.830]  TCP Connection(2)-127.0.0.1 <DE0000I> Installing bundle 'SampleFragment' version '1.0.0'. 
[2013-05-06 15:10:24.230]  TCP Connection(2)-127.0.0.1 <ME0003I> Dump 'serviceability/dump/2013-05-06-15-10-946' generated 
[2013-05-06 15:10:24.238]  TCP Connection(2)-127.0.0.1 <DE0002E> Installation of bundle 'SampleFragment' version '1.0.0' failed. org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.osgi.framework.UnableToSatisfyBundleDependenciesException: Unable to satisfy dependencies of bundle 'SampleFragment' at version '1.0.0': Cannot resolve: SampleFragment

at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.pipeline.stage.resolve.internal.QuasiResolveStage.process(QuasiResolveStage.java:46)
	at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.pipeline.internal.StandardPipeline.doProcessGraph(StandardPipeline.java:62)
	at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.pipeline.internal.CompensatingPipeline.doProcessGraph(CompensatingPipeline.java:73)
	at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.pipeline.stage.AbstractPipelineStage.process(AbstractPipelineStage.java:41)
	at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.pipeline.internal.StandardPipeline.doProcessGraph(StandardPipeline.java:62)
	at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.pipeline.stage.AbstractPipelineStage.process(AbstractPipelineStage.java:41)
	at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.driveInstallPipeline(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:359)
	at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.doInstall(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:185)
	at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.install(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:140)
	at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.deploy(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:253)
	at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.management.StandardDeployer.deploy(StandardDeployer.java:52)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.ConvertingMethod.invokeWithOpenReturn(ConvertingMethod.java:167)
	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MXBeanIntrospector.invokeM2(MXBeanIntrospector.java:96)
	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MXBeanIntrospector.invokeM2(MXBeanIntrospector.java:33)
	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MBeanIntrospector.invokeM(MBeanIntrospector.java:208)
	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.PerInterface.invoke(PerInterface.java:120)
	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MBeanSupport.invoke(MBeanSupport.java:262)
	at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:836)
	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.invoke(JmxMBeanServer.java:761)
	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1427)
	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.access$200(RMIConnectionImpl.java:72)
	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl$PrivilegedOperation.run(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1265)
	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doPrivilegedOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1360)
	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.invoke(RMIConnectionImpl.java:788)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
	at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:305)
	at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Transport.java:159)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:155)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:535)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(TCPTransport.java:790)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCPTransport.java:649)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Interesting enough, despite the error, if I log into the OSGi user region console the fragment appears as resolved:

osgi> ss Sample
"Framework is launched."

id	State       Bundle
151	ACTIVE      SampleHost_1.0.0
	            Fragments=152
152	RESOLVED    SampleFragment_1.0.0
	            Master=151

So the problem is not blocking, but quite annoying because it slows down the server boot and creates a useless dump and a scary stack trace. Even more interesting, if the projects are built and deployed as binaries in Virgo using a plan, the error does not appear, regardless of the order in which they are listed in the plan.

Any suggestion? Should I file a bug?

GianMaria.

Developing for Virgo using PDE: http://bit.ly/1w0tTit
Global JNDI in Virgo: http://bit.ly/1to42mn
Hyperic to monitor Virgo: http://bit.ly/W1Fst9
Profile Virgo with JProfiler http://bit.ly/1FBLGCw
Re: Fragment fails to resolve if listed after host - Virgo Tools on Linux [message #1053553 is a reply to message #1053549] Mon, 06 May 2013 13:36 Go to previous message
GianMaria Romanato is currently offline GianMaria RomanatoFriend
I debugged a bit into the resolver code, in class org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.userregion.internal.quasi.DependencyCalculator

The different behaviour is in statement "StateDelta delta = state.resolve(bundles);"

• If the fragment is listed before the host, the statebits of the BundleDescription are set to 0x201.
  • If the fragment is listed after the host the statebits are set to 0x200.

public BundleDescription[] calculateDependencies(State state, Region coregion, BundleDescription[] bundles,
        BundleDescription[] disabledProvisioningBundles) throws BundleException, UnableToSatisfyDependenciesException {
        this.logger.info("Calculating missing dependencies of bundle(s) '{}'", bundles);
        synchronized (this.monitor) {
            this.coregion = coregion;
            try {
                doSatisfyConstraints(bundles, state, disabledProvisioningBundles);

StateDelta delta = state.resolve(bundles);

for (BundleDescription description : bundles) {

Developing for Virgo using PDE: http://bit.ly/1w0tTit
Global JNDI in Virgo: http://bit.ly/1to42mn
Hyperic to monitor Virgo: http://bit.ly/W1Fst9
Profile Virgo with JProfiler http://bit.ly/1FBLGCw
Previous Topic:CDI support is virgo for server for Tomcat
Next Topic:EMF and Virgo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:25:29 GMT 2024