Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse Process Manager (Stardust) » Business Process Monitoring
Business Process Monitoring [message #1049011] Thu, 25 April 2013 08:23 Go to next message
Adrian Mos is currently offline Adrian MosFriend
Hi guys,

I am interested in using monitoring information from Stardust in order to enhance the information made available through the Mangrove tools, in both PUSH and PULL modes.

The ultimate goal would be to be able to do the following: when generating BPMN from Mangrove, to insert some monitoring "hooks" in the processes/activities so they can be recognized by Stardust's engine and eventually fueled with runtime events concerning their execution. This is the PUSH mode.

In the short term we'd like to be able to simply hook into the Stardust monitoring APIs and obtain information about various execution properties. This is the PULL mode.

I would appreciate pointers that would help with the two approaches.

Thanks for your help.
Best regards,
Adrian.
Re: Business Process Monitoring [message #1050505 is a reply to message #1049011] Sat, 27 April 2013 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Gille is currently offline Marc GilleFriend
3 options come to my mind:

1. Poll Data via the Query API

This is probably the best solution when you intend to display a larger set of data. More details in the documentation under

Developer Handbooks > Programming Guide > Building Queries

2. Add Event Handlers/Event Actions

Usually, you do this e.g. for Activities in the Eclipse Modeler, however coming from Magrove, you could even instrument the Process Model with corresponding Extended Attributes. That would even work with us transitionining to BPMN as storage forma, as we will keep the Extended Attributes.

Have a look at

Developer Handbooks > The Modeling Guide > The Process Workbench > Working With Activity Event Handlers

on Event Handlers/Actions and check the XPDL generated underneath. We will probably also need to point you to how to kick off the BPMN/XPDL tranlation which is currently in the making.

3. Use Generic Engine Plugins

Have a look at ProcessExecutionMonitor and WorklistMonitor under

Developer Handbooks > Programming Guide > Monitoring Worklists

to see how you could write general interceptors on Process Engine Level.

I think for your purposes either 3. is probably the fastest to get results. Later, 2. might be more specific.
Re: Business Process Monitoring [message #1051790 is a reply to message #1050505] Mon, 29 April 2013 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mos is currently offline Adrian MosFriend
Hi Marc,

thanks a lot for this, we'll be looking at all of these options. It is very likely that, as you suggest, we'll start investigating option 3 (and maybe 1) first, and then go to option 2.

Adrian.
Re: Business Process Monitoring [message #1053130 is a reply to message #1051790] Thu, 02 May 2013 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kunal Suri is currently offline Kunal SuriFriend

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your guidance and for pointing us towards the monitoring API of Stardust.

I was trying to use the 'queryService' for getting some monitoring data for my deployed process. I was following the API Documentation and also the examples on the Stardust wiki page just to figure out the way to get the simplest detail.

For e.g http://wiki.eclipse.org/STP/Stardust/KnowledgeBase/API/JavaAPICookbook/Querying_Workflow_and_Runtime

But I am facing a problem regarding my Java class. It is not able to run as I am not able to remove the conflict of importing the ag.carnot.workflow.* files such as "import ag.carnot.workflow.ejb.WorkflowException" etc. I am also currently not aware which jar files I need to use for my build path to avoid this issue.

Furthermore, I think I may not be on the right path. Thus, I would request you if you could please point me to a document that would give me a step-by-step example of how to run a Java class to retrieve these info and how to configure all the jar files etc.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Kunal
Re: Business Process Monitoring [message #1058665 is a reply to message #1053130] Tue, 14 May 2013 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kunal Suri is currently offline Kunal SuriFriend

Hello Guys,

I was able to solve this problem. The error was coming as in the Wiki page example the code asks to import ag.carnot.workflow.* etc . But the eclipse was not able to import these files as they didn't exist.

I went through the IPP documentation and realized that I need to import the files from org.eclipse.stardust.engine.api.* and not ag.carnot.workflow.*

I also tried to run a basic QueryService code and it did return me some values successfully.

Thanks and Regards,
Kunal

Re: Business Process Monitoring [message #1058835 is a reply to message #1058665] Wed, 15 May 2013 10:52 Go to previous message
Sebastian Just is currently offline Sebastian JustFriend
Quote:
I need to import the files from org.eclipse.stardust.engine.api.* and not ag.carnot.workflow.*

Absolutly

Quote:
I also tried to run a basic QueryService code and it did return me some values successfully.

How does your code look like and what is the result?
Previous Topic:Error while deploying ipp-portal.war, spring libraries
Next Topic:Web Service Application Integration Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 06:44:01 GMT 2024