Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF) » Only one-way communication with ECF and XMPP ?
Only one-way communication with ECF and XMPP ? [message #1038276] Wed, 10 April 2013 16:57 Go to next message
Rui Rosado is currently offline Rui RosadoFriend
Hi all,

I just installed ECF (v3.6.0) in Eclipse (for RCP and RAP; version Juno SR2; build id: 20130225-0426).
I also have a Openfire server running (v3.8.1), with a few accounts on it.
ECF can connect to the XMPP server. I do that from 3 different Windows PCs, one Win 7 and two Win XP PCs.

On all PCs Spark is running fine, i.e. all xmpp-users can communicate with each other bi-directionally.

However, when I start a sharing session in Eclipse (after shutting off Spark on all 3 pcs), I notice the following behaviour:

1. When the initiator of the sharing session makes changes in the java-editor, the 'other side' will see the changes (being typed). And that's OK.
2. When the 'other side' types anything, he will see it locally, but these changes are not propagated to the initiators side.
So, the communication is only from the initiator to the receiver. This is the case for all 3 pcs.

I tried several adjustments (preferences, firewall settings, etc.) but nothing helps.

Any suggestion to what I might be doing wrong or missing?

BTW: the 4 org.eclipse.provider.xmpp... plugins are present in eclipse's plugin directory.

Hope someone can help.
Cheers,
Rui

Re: Only one-way communication with ECF and XMPP ? [message #1038288 is a reply to message #1038276] Wed, 10 April 2013 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott LewisFriend
Hi Rui,

Hmmm. We have not seen this...e.g. testing with gmail accounts (as opposed to openfire).

As you have already surmised, this appears to be something about the openfire server...although it is possible that it represents a bug in this part of ECF.

A couple of things to try:

1) Are both user accounts on each other's buddy lists?
2) Are there any restrictions in Openfire server about 'message properties'?...for either user account? If so, try turning them off.
3) There is a smack debug flag (system property): -Dsmack.debug=true When this is set (when starting Eclipse) the smack debugger should appear when a connection is created. This will allow you to see the messaging that is sent/received from the clients. It might be helpful to figure out what's not going on here.
4) Is it possible for you to try with gmail accounts and see if you have the same problems?

Finally, if none of this helps, please open a new ECF bug here:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=ECF

I and other committers will join the bug, and we will help debug and/or fix configuration to find a solution. It may take some dialog, however, and the bug tracking system will be better for that than this forum.

Thanks.

Scott

Quote:
Hi all,

I just installed ECF (v3.6.0) in Eclipse (for RCP and RAP; version Juno SR2; build id: 20130225-0426).
I also have a Openfire server running (v3.8.1), with a few accounts on it.
ECF can connect to the XMPP server. I do that from 3 different Windows PCs, one Win 7 and two Win XP PCs.

On all PCs Spark is running fine, i.e. all xmpp-users can communicate with each other bi-directionally.

However, when I start a sharing session in Eclipse (after shutting off Spark on all 3 pcs), I notice the following behaviour:

1. When the initiator of the sharing session makes changes in the java-editor, the 'other side' will see the changes (being typed). And that's OK.
2. When the 'other side' types anything, he will see it locally, but these changes are not propagated to the initiators side.
So, the communication is only from the initiator to the receiver. This is the case for all 3 pcs.

I tried several adjustments (preferences, firewall settings, etc.) but nothing helps.

Any suggestion to what I might be doing wrong or missing?

BTW: the 4 org.eclipse.provider.xmpp... plugins are present in eclipse's plugin directory.

Hope someone can help.
Cheers,
Rui
Re: Only one-way communication with ECF and XMPP ? [message #1042538 is a reply to message #1038288] Tue, 16 April 2013 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your suggestions, Scott.
I was away for a couple of days, but will be trying them out later this week!

I will report my results, and will eventually open an ECF bug.

Ciao,
Rui
Re: Only one-way communication with ECF and XMPP ? [message #1051119 is a reply to message #1038288] Sun, 28 April 2013 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Scott,

It seems this problem is related to some DNS setup of the Openfire server.
I'm diving into this, and hope to find some answers in the Openfire forum.
As soon as I really know what is going on, I will report that here (or file a BUG), so that others can also share my findings.

Cheers,
Rui
Re: Only one-way communication with ECF and XMPP ? [message #1051935 is a reply to message #1051119] Mon, 29 April 2013 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
On 04/28/2013 10:19 AM, Rui Rosado wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> It seems this problem is related to some DNS setup of the Openfire server.
> I'm diving into this, and hope to find some answers in the Openfire forum.
> As soon as I really know what is going on, I will report that here (or
> file a BUG), so that others can also share my findings.
>
> Cheers,
> Rui

Thanks!

Markus
Re: Only one-way communication with ECF and XMPP ? [message #1706514 is a reply to message #1051119] Thu, 27 August 2015 13:06 Go to previous message
Hauke Fuhrmann is currently offline Hauke FuhrmannFriend
Am 28.04.2013 10:19, schrieb Rui Rosado:
> It seems this problem is related to some DNS setup of the Openfire server.

We see the same issue with XMPP and the current Mars version of ECF. Do
you have some final answer to share about this issue?

Cheers,
Hauke
Previous Topic:I'm a Newbie Trying to Install EMF Updates..
Next Topic:How to track down java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:59:12 GMT 2024