Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Compare » Guava 11?
Guava 11? [message #1036837] Mon, 08 April 2013 22:06 Go to next message
Tim Geisler is currently offline Tim GeislerFriend
Hi,

I am wondering why you have an explicit dependency to Guava 11 in EMF Compare 3.0?

You are using the newly introduced interface LoadingCache in several classes of org.eclipse.emf.compare. If you just used its super interface Cache, then you would also be compatible with Guava 10.

I currently have an issue with the combination of Xtext 2.4 and EMF Compare 3.0. The former seems to require Guava 10, the latter requires Guava 11.

See also https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=370651

Best regards,

Tim
Re: Guava 11? [message #1037123 is a reply to message #1036837] Tue, 09 April 2013 07:37 Go to previous message
Laurent Goubet is currently offline Laurent GoubetFriend
Tim,

Guava is not a singleton bundle. You should be able to install version 11 along with version 10. This will not cause issues if the version ranges are properly restrained for the people that do depend on 10 so that they do not import the incompatible version 11 instead (i.e. they depend on [10.0.0,11.0.0) and not "10.0.0" which is translated by Eclipse as "10 and newer").

EMF Compare uses LoadingCache because that API is stable from 11 to 14. Cache and CacheBuilder, on the other hand, have been broken in 11:
- In version 11, most useful methods from "Cache" get deprecated and extracted to LoadingCache. one of CacheBuilder.build() is removed, thus broken.
- In version 12, the depreacted "Cache" method get removed (proper API break).

We use LoadingCache since that is what CacheBuilder returns, and we aim for compatibility. We use Guava 11 since the APIs we use are defined as "frozen" (tough still annotated @Beta) in that release.

FWI, it is one of the guys from Xtext that first asked us to switch to Guava 11 (see bug 401595 for information), so I believe the interaction should work.

Laurent Goubet
Obeo
Previous Topic:org.eclipse.emf.compare.edit might be in the wrong feature
Next Topic:Element addition should be refined by References set
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 19:20:41 GMT 2024