Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Programming machine(what are the main features)
Programming machine [message #1034044] Fri, 05 April 2013 00:06 Go to next message
rodrigo sousa is currently offline rodrigo sousaFriend
Hello everyone, I have a laptop but run Eclipse on it is too hard. The machine is too slow.
I am thinking about buying a new laptop, so I need to know what the main features to be concerned to improve eclipse's performance. (cpu, memory, hd, ...)
So, what is the most important feature to be concerned about when I buy my next laptop?
Thanks everyone.
Re: Programming machine [message #1036326 is a reply to message #1034044] Mon, 08 April 2013 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephane Begaudeau is currently offline Stephane BegaudeauFriend

Hi,

What is the configuration of your laptop? Did you try to change the settings of Eclipse in the file eclipse.ini? I find the default configuration way too "light" and for some operation it can feel really slow. Have a look here, here and there to check a few settings to try to improve the situation first (check your Xms, Xmx and max perm size). If you want to buy a new laptop to improve your development experience, you should look mainly for RAM and CPU. Since Eclipse is always manipulating small files (compiling, cleaning, re-compiling, etc), a SSD would give you a nice speed bump.

Regards,

Stephane Begaudeau, Obeo

--
Twitter: @sbegaudeau
Google+: +stephane.begaudeau
Blog: http://stephanebegaudeau.tumblr.com | Eclipse Java Development Tools Tips and Tricks
Re: Programming machine [message #1036470 is a reply to message #1036326] Mon, 08 April 2013 12:34 Go to previous message
rodrigo sousa is currently offline rodrigo sousaFriend
I have used the tool Process Explorer to monitor the eclipse usage. I could verify that in my computer, when it stuck, the number of page faults is some hundreds of events but the I/O operations is many thousands.
Looks like the problem of my computer is a slow hd, but I am not a hundred percent sure of that.
Do you agree with the conclusion? Do you know any test I can execute to verify that?
Thanks.
Previous Topic:Which IDE should be used for Embedded C
Next Topic:Installing the Android ADT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:01:42 GMT 2024