Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Doubling of Project Folder(All existing projects have had an additional folder created for them . . . )
Doubling of Project Folder [message #1028884] Thu, 28 March 2013 22:04 Go to next message
Top Kat is currently offline Top KatFriend
Recently I replaced Eclipse Helios with Juno.
Installed fine, worked fine with existing workspace and also allowed Maven plugin.

Lately I have seen on the Project Explorer view that all my existing projects have had an extra project folder. The only difference between these two folders is that one has a bin folder and the other has not - or at least it's not visible in Project Explorer view.
[Look at the project called PlotFunction in the attached screenshot.]
I see no reason for this doubling of folders.
Can I configure things so that Eclipse reverts to how it was, i.e. showing just one folder for each project ?

I also see that when I create a new project and start adding classes to its src folder, some of these new classes are shown to be within both the src folder and within the default folder within src.
Can I also configure Eclipse so as to also eliminate this unwanted repetition ?
Re: Doubling of Project Folder [message #1029303 is a reply to message #1028884] Fri, 29 March 2013 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Looks weird, indeed.
To narrow down what's happening, you might want to switch representation in the package explorer: Top Level Elements > Projects.
It might just be an issue of doubly associating the same project to the working set.

Other ways to test what's going on:
- inspect the project properties, esp. the resource location: is it really the same project?
- create a new file in one project, does it show up in the "other", too?

The not-visible bin folder seems to be your output folder, right? That should never be visible in the package explorer. Maybe one version of the project defines its output folder differently?

HTH,
Stephan
Re: Doubling of Project Folder [message #1029343 is a reply to message #1029303] Fri, 29 March 2013 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Kat is currently offline Top KatFriend
Switching representation to projects showed that there was only 1 project of any given name.
Likewise, the resource location for each of the 2 folders was the same.
Yes, if a new .java file is opened in one, it shows in the other. This is the case whichever folder you open the new .java file in. The double reference already mentioned above (i.e. the new .java file being shown as within both the src and the src/(default package) folders) exists only in that folder in which I create the new .java file.
Yes, I used never see the bin folder files before this issue arose.
But now one version of every project I have on Eclipse has a bin folder . . . at least with the Project Explorer.
Package Explorer is fine, just 1 folder and no bin folder within it.
I guess that must be the problem.
Somehow, I must have been using Package Explorer and then somehow got Project Explorer up a view and then cancelled the Package Explorer . . .

Looks like I'll have to use Package Explorer from now on
Re: Doubling of Project Folder [message #1029350 is a reply to message #1029343] Fri, 29 March 2013 14:54 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
I didn't see you were using the Project Explorer, sorry, but I don't think the two explorers should differ in this regard.

If any of this behaviour is reproducable on your machine, it would be great if you could narrow down what makes the working set see two instances of each project. OTOH, reusing the Helios based workspace in Juno sounds like a big step, so this problem may not be very relevant, after all. My guess is, that with some switching back and forth and restarting, the problem will eventually vanish even for the Project Explorer.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Submission Error
Next Topic:Eclipse with Android plugin Lags really bad
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:51:01 GMT 2024