Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Synchronize View
Synchronize View [message #1007115] Mon, 04 February 2013 14:14 Go to next message
Jan Hoskens is currently offline Jan HoskensFriend
Hi,

We've just switched to Git and are trying to find a decent workflow as we had with Subversion. There are a lot of people that were relying on the synchronize view and as it still offers a view on files that might end up with a conflict, they are tempted to use the Merge/Mark as Merged (in git?)/Overwrite in the mouse menu or the icon 'Merge all non-conflicting changes'. When any of these are triggered it seems to break the working copy. Are we doing something wrong here?

Kind Regards,
Jan
Re: Synchronize View [message #1007134 is a reply to message #1007115] Mon, 04 February 2013 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
For day-to-day work with EGit, I suggest you use the Git Staging view where in Subclipse/Subversive you would have used the Synchronization view.

I only use the Synchronization view in EGit when comparing the active branch with some other branch or reference, and even then only for viewing. For sure I wouldn't merge that way.
Re: Synchronize View [message #1007159 is a reply to message #1007134] Mon, 04 February 2013 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Hoskens is currently offline Jan HoskensFriend
Thanks for the answer. We were thinking the same.

I can understand that Git works differently and provides different perspectives and views. But when opening the Git Perspective, the synchronize is there to use. If it provides buttons or menus that conflict with Git, they shouldn't be there. So is this just a bug in showing the wrong buttons/menus or is the functionality behind them buggy? Or might it be that it does work, but not in the expected way?

Re: Synchronize View [message #1007359 is a reply to message #1007159] Tue, 05 February 2013 15:45 Go to previous message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
It would be nice to know the intended semantics of these toolbar items and when they're appropriate to use in EGit. As you point out, their behavior seems wrong in general.

For now I recommend avoiding them, and in fact avoiding the Synchronization view for anything other than the "advanced" version that presents the differences between the active branch and some other branch, tag or reference. This works pretty well and can display the diffs either per commit or per file directory.

To get a summary of the diffs of your working tree v the HEAD or Index, the Git Staging seems like a better choice.
Previous Topic:accessing Github from behind an http proxy
Next Topic:"Cherry pick failed"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:53:58 GMT 2024