Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » NullPointerException when adding Axis2 facet(Axis2 facet's can't seem to be added even though Axis2 appears to be configured just fine.)
NullPointerException when adding Axis2 facet [message #1004790] Wed, 23 January 2013 21:50 Go to next message
Chris Sauerwald is currently offline Chris SauerwaldFriend
First, the problem:

When I try to enable the axis2 facet by any means (listed below) I'll get a NullPointerException. The three ways it could be enabled are

1.) During the creation of a brand new 'Dynamic Web Project'
2.) Going in to Properties and enabling it in the facets panel
3.) Attempting to create a web service client from wsdl (this implicitly add the facet).

No matter what I do though, it fails. The Exception that I found in the logs for method #1 above is:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core 4 0 2013-01-23 16:35:56.971
!MESSAGE Failed while installing Axis2 Web Services Core 1.1.
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.DisabledResourceManager.save(DisabledResourceManager.java:67)
	at org.eclipse.wst.validation.internal.DisabledResourceManager.disableValidation(DisabledResourceManager.java:49)
	at org.eclipse.wst.validation.ValidationFramework.disableValidation(ValidationFramework.java:129)
	at org.eclipse.jst.ws.axis2.facet.commands.Axis2WebservicesServerCommand.executeOverride(Axis2WebservicesServerCommand.java:110)
	at org.eclipse.jst.ws.axis2.facet.deligate.Axis2CoreFacetInstallDelegate.execute(Axis2CoreFacetInstallDelegate.java:43)
	at org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.internal.FacetedProject.callDelegate(FacetedProject.java:1477)
	at org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.internal.FacetedProject.modifyInternal(FacetedProject.java:441)
	at org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.internal.FacetedProject.mergeChangesInternal(FacetedProject.java:1181)
	at org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.internal.FacetedProject.access$2(FacetedProject.java:1117)
	at org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.internal.FacetedProject$5.run(FacetedProject.java:1099)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:2344)
	at org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.internal.FacetedProject.mergeChanges(FacetedProject.java:1109)
	at org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.internal.FacetedProjectWorkingCopy.commitChanges(FacetedProjectWorkingCopy.java:2020)
	at org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.ui.internal.FacetsPropertyPage$4.run(FacetsPropertyPage.java:232)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:2344)
	at org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.ui.internal.FacetsPropertyPage$5.run(FacetsPropertyPage.java:246)
	at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)

Based on what I've seen about this problem elsewhere I'll get these items out of the way now:

1.) The path to axis2 is already configured under Preferences and Eclipse claims that Axis2 has been loaded successfully.
2.) I have no reason to doubt the axis2 configuration as existing projects can use the Axis2 tools just fine (ones that had the facet enabled long ago).
3.) Creating a fresh project in a brand new workspace has no problems so somewhere in the myriad of files under .plugins something has gone awry, but I'm at a loss as to what it could be.
4.) Creating a brand new workspace and starting from scratch isn't really a good solution(though it might be my only one). For better or worse a lot of my work right now is in this workspace and I'd hate to have to switch over and migrate things in the middle of a project. I'm honestly not sure what I would lose between workspaces other than server and project configurations, but that is probably enough to annoy me.
5.) There was a bug filed for this at some point, it ended up being marked INVALID because of the assumption that the person having the issue had not configured the axis2 path.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Re: NullPointerException when adding Axis2 facet [message #1004972 is a reply to message #1004790] Thu, 24 January 2013 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Could you open a bug against the Validation framework itself? I don't think this is actually related to Axis2.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: NullPointerException when adding Axis2 facet [message #1005511 is a reply to message #1004972] Fri, 25 January 2013 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Try creating a "axis2-web" folder directly within the WebContent folder before step 3.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: NullPointerException when adding Axis2 facet [message #1198043 is a reply to message #1005511] Wed, 20 November 2013 05:52 Go to previous message
Vikram Kumbhar is currently offline Vikram KumbharFriend
Hi Chris,

I faced the exactly same problem.
Following steps solved the issue for me.

1. Close eclipse
2. Keep backup of folder: .metadata\.plugins\org.apache.axis2.facet in your workspace.
3. Delete .metadata\.plugins\org.apache.axis2.facet
4. Restart eclipse

Problem gets resolved with these steps.
This solution was arrived by just trial and error method.
I am not exactly sure what side effectes this may have.
Previous Topic:Where exactly does a jsp page get deployed when run via Eclipse?
Next Topic:source code for org.mozilla.javascript_1.7.2.v201005080400
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:53:22 GMT 2024