Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Equinox Issue and Question
Equinox Issue and Question [message #1004786] Wed, 23 January 2013 21:45 Go to next message
kilosi mesdor is currently offline kilosi mesdorFriend
Hello,

I am looking at the Equinox OSGi framework to run a telnet server that can do dynamic code updates without rebooting (and losing all of the current connections). I have a question and an issue.

Question:
I currently start my telnet server (already written) on a Linux box with a nuhup java command. This allows me to start the server, and then log off. Can I attain the same functionality with using Equinox? I haven't seen anything that says I can start it with my loaded bundles and then "leave"/logoff. A requirement is for me NOT to be connected in order to ensure uptime.

If I cannot do this with Equinox, do you know of another framework that can do this?

Issue: [THIS IS NOW RESOLVED!! I had to edit the manifest file.]
I have played around with this a bit, and it seems to work well but I have an issue. I'm using Eclipse to do development.

I am creating two bundles. One bundle will be for the networking code (that holds the sockets) and the other bundle will be the actual server application that is running (let's say it is a chat server portion - so it'll contain all of the functionality to do that).

I wrote up a little test program that has two plug-in bundles. One is the networking code and the other is the chat portion. When the networking bundle tries to create an instance of a data object from the chat bundle, it crashes with the following exception (hello_world is the server and the hdata is the chat portion):
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: hdata/Data
	at hello_world.Activator.start(Activator.java:37)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl$1.run(BundleContextImpl.java:783)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:774)
	... 11 more

So the Data class from the chat bundle can't be found. I am unsure as to why this is happening as on my Run Configuration I have both of them checked.
It is not possible to have references to another bundle? I thought this was possible.

I suspect that more information will be needed so just ask! I'll be more than happy to provide it.

Thanks.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 January 2013 03:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Equinox Issue and Question [message #1005353 is a reply to message #1004786] Fri, 25 January 2013 02:32 Go to previous message
kilosi mesdor is currently offline kilosi mesdorFriend
I was able to achieve this with noExit and &.
Previous Topic:javax.annotation package
Next Topic:How to use external jar?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 23 22:01:33 GMT 2024