Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Windows Service for BIRT(How to keep the BIRT Runtime running)
Windows Service for BIRT [message #1000376] Mon, 14 January 2013 16:08 Go to next message
Arne Schröder is currently offline Arne SchröderFriend
Dear all,

I am a Newbie to BIRT and would love to render Report-Designs with BIRT. For this I used the genReport.bat-file from the BIRT Runtime.

To be honest, I found the performance of BIRT to be a little bit dissapointing. Timing what the framework's ReportRunner did, I concluded that halve the time or more was spent in starting up and shutting down the plattform.

Here is a crazy thought: What if there was some process running in the background (like a Windows service), which has the platform already started up, which just waits for report-designs to be rendered. This would be a simple solution to have a 100% performance gain.

However, I thought this cannot be new. So my question is: Is there anything like that (especially as simple as a service)? Or is there some catch I am missing?

Thank you in advance for any answers!
Re: Windows Service for BIRT [message #1000981 is a reply to message #1000376] Tue, 15 January 2013 20:19 Go to previous message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

You can run multiple reports on a single engine, so you could write your own code to run multiple reports before destroying the engine and shutting down the platform. You might take a look at this.

Report Engine API (REAPI)

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Previous Topic:How to get my reports in web viewer
Next Topic:Embedding HTML data from db into report
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 23 22:30:10 GMT 2024