Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » CDT builds simple project very slowly(Linux GCC toolchain on Slackware64 v.14)
CDT builds simple project very slowly [message #991644] Wed, 19 December 2012 22:44
Evan Rolwey is currently offline Evan RolweyFriend
Currently running Slackware64 14 on an old dual core Intel Centrino laptop. I'd like to use Eclipse as an IDE but am running into some weird behavior.

Installing the Eclipse package from SlackBuilds.Org, it seemed like Eclipse couldn't build simple programs with the Linux GCC toolchain. Builds would get stuck around 18% or 19% - usually during the make process. After leaving my laptop alone during one of these processes, I came back to it and found that no executable binary was ever created.

Instead of using the SlackBuild I switched to the zipped Eclipse binary offered directly by Eclipse.Org. Using this version of Eclipse, I was able to fully build and run some sample programs. Whats still odd about it is that the "make" operations still take a lot of time to do. For example, a simple Hello World took 2 minutes and 6 seconds to run.

Eclipse's build output:
12:42:09 **** Build of configuration Default for project HelloWorldMakefileSample ****
make all 
g++ -O2 -g -Wall -fmessage-length=0   -c -o HelloWorldMakefileSample.o HelloWorldMakefileSample.cpp
g++ -o HelloWorldMakefileSample HelloWorldMakefileSample.o 

12:44:15 Build Finished (took 2m:6s.636ms)

^ Notice "2m:6s:636ms" - That is a very odd amount of time to compile and link together such a tiny executable.

Source code it was compiling:
//============================================================================
// Name        : HelloWorldMakefileSample.cpp
// Author      : EJR
// Version     :
// Copyright   : Your copyright notice
// Description : Hello World in C, Ansi-style
//============================================================================

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void) {
	puts("Hello World!!!");
	return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

Makefile auto-generated by Eclipse:
CXXFLAGS =	-O2 -g -Wall -fmessage-length=0

OBJS =		HelloWorldMakefileSample.o

LIBS =

TARGET =	HelloWorldMakefileSample

$(TARGET):	$(OBJS)
	$(CXX) -o $(TARGET) $(OBJS) $(LIBS)

all:	$(TARGET)

clean:
	rm -f $(OBJS) $(TARGET)

Not sure what the bottleneck here is. Could there be something amiss in the Makefile? Could it be that the g++ process forked by Eclipse simply needs a higher priority in the process queue? This is a 2008 laptop but I'm fairly sure that it isn't a hardware limitation.
Previous Topic:Eclipe/GDB disable breakpoint after enable
Next Topic:Eclipse debugger stops at dl_main
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 01:34:32 GMT 2024