Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Recommended Use of Target Platform Definition File(How to use the .target file to target results of continuous integration)
Recommended Use of Target Platform Definition File [message #990644] Thu, 13 December 2012 15:01 Go to next message
Erik Englund is currently offline Erik EnglundFriend
This is more of a best practices question.

Currently our organization uses the '.target' files to share target platform definitions with our development teams. We have the '.target' point to internal update sites. This works great except for one thing.

Some of the update sites we point to contains code that is the result of continuous integration. Therefore, the qualifier, and thus the version, are constantly changing.
This makes the '.target' file constantly complain that it can't find a particular feature. It forces us to open the editor, edit the site, select the exact same feature and on we go.

My question is, is there a way around this or is there a better way we should be doing this?

One solution we thought of would be to repo2runnable the update sites as part of a build/setup script that developers would need to run. This seems slow and clunky though.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and how they handled sharing target definitions among their developers.
Re: Recommended Use of Target Platform Definition File [message #990676 is a reply to message #990644] Thu, 13 December 2012 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curtis Windatt is currently offline Curtis WindattFriend
Have you tried the update button available when editing a target definition? I don't think this will fully solve your difficulties, but it may be easier to press a button to update a target file over searching for the new feature.

Another option is to set the version of the features in your target definition file to 0.0.0. This is not currently supported by the UI, but p2 should use the highest version available.

Something like the following would help you out, so you could look at contributing a patch: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=182373
Bug 182373 - [target] [p2] Have target update when remote update site changes/updates

I don't think there is a bug for it, but it would be great if the content of the target from a repo could specify a version range.
Re: Recommended Use of Target Platform Definition File [message #990685 is a reply to message #990676] Thu, 13 December 2012 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I completely agree. A version range would be perfect. I know there is a p2query language being developed (http://wiki.eclipse.org/Query_Language_for_p2). If the Target definition file could support this, it would be perfect.
Re: Recommended Use of Target Platform Definition File [message #990687 is a reply to message #990685] Thu, 13 December 2012 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also it looks like your version="0.0.0" works. Thanks you sooo much. You have no idea how long I've been looking for a solution to this.
Re: Recommended Use of Target Platform Definition File [message #990731 is a reply to message #990685] Thu, 13 December 2012 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curtis Windatt is currently offline Curtis WindattFriend
I don't think any work is being down on the p2 query language. However, it isn't difficult to programmatically create queries. Not sure how to present it to the user in the target UI, but a query language is unlikely to be user friendly.

I'm glad the 0.0.0 trick worked.
Re: Recommended Use of Target Platform Definition File [message #990944 is a reply to message #990676] Sat, 15 December 2012 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lorenzo Bettini is currently offline Lorenzo BettiniFriend
On 12/13/2012 06:58 PM, Curtis Windatt wrote:
> Have you tried the update button available when editing a target
> definition? I don't think this will fully solve your difficulties, but

Considering this part, I had already written about the fact that the
update button rarely works (and when it does not it spoils all the
..target file)... do you manage to use the Update successfully?

Re: Recommended Use of Target Platform Definition File [message #1263171 is a reply to message #990944] Tue, 04 March 2014 08:41 Go to previous message
Mikael Barbero is currently offline Mikael BarberoFriend
This post is a little bit old, but I would like to share with you the fact that I overcame the target editor limitations with a custom dsl that is used to generate the .target file. You can find it on my github account https://github.com/mbarbero/fr.obeo.releng.targetplatform.

Best regards,

Mikael Barbero
Obeo

[Updated on: Tue, 04 March 2014 08:41]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:No Schema Found but it IS in my target
Next Topic:Defining an external tool for my plug-in
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 11:39:48 GMT 2024