Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Can't build headless featurebased RCP
Can't build headless featurebased RCP [message #964599] Tue, 30 October 2012 16:53 Go to next message
Missing name Mising name is currently offline Missing name Mising nameFriend
I have troubles to get a headless featurebased RCP build. The error is: productBuild.xml:69: Unable to find feature: myotherfeature

My directory structure:
- workspace
|- myfeature
| |- feature.xml
|- myotherfeature
| |- headless
| | |- build.properties
| |- my.product
| |- feature.xml

As you see, the features were created in the workspace, there is no dedicated "features" folder, because the features are "feature-projects" generated by eclipse in the workspace.

The build.properties file is a copy from the headless-directory of pde-plugin. I set following:

topLevelElement = feature
topLevelElementd = myotherfeature
product=/myotherfeature/my.product
builddirectory=<path to my workspace>
base=<path to parent directory of my eclipse-root>
baseLocation=<points to the eclipse root>

All other settings are irrelevant for my problem, I think.

The product-file has only one dependency: myotherfeature. This feature has its own dependencies, like myfeature and other plugins/features.

I can build the RCP in eclipse by clicking the link on the right of the product-editor overview-tab. AND also I can start the RCP directly using the "Start Eclipse application" link on the left.

If I change in build.properties the product-property to something, that does not exist, then there is the error, that it can't find the element in <workspace>/features/myotherfeature/my.product. Why it is searching in <workspace>/features and not just only in <workspace>? Maybe this is a hint for my problem.

Maybe this is a bug, because I can build another project, which is based on plugins only, there are no features.

Do I miss something? Any suggestions?
Re: Can't build headless featurebased RCP [message #966930 is a reply to message #964599] Thu, 01 November 2012 10:50 Go to previous message
Missing name Mising name is currently offline Missing name Mising nameFriend
I think, I have found the problem:

In BuildTimeSiteFactory.java (org.eclipse.pde.build Plugin, org.eclipse.pde.internal.build.site - Package), there is the method: findFeatureXMLs(). It contains this code:

if (file.exists()) {
  //path is a feature itself
  features.add(file);
  continue;
} else if (new File(sitePaths[i], DEFAULT_FEATURE_LOCATION).exists()) {
  //path is a eclipse root and contains a features subdirectory
  foundFeatures = Utils.findFiles(new File(sitePaths[i]), DEFAULT_FEATURE_LOCATION, Constants.FEATURE_FILENAME_DESCRIPTOR);
} else {
  // treat as a flat directory containing features
  foundFeatures = Utils.findFiles(new File(sitePaths[i]), ".", Constants.FEATURE_FILENAME_DESCRIPTOR); //$NON-NLS-1$
}

The problem is, that while creating plugins and features in eclipse, the script creates a "features" folder in the build folder. I set my "build-folder" to my workspace folder. This will force the if-else if-else code to run into the else-if instead of the else, because the script creates the "features" folder before.
Previous Topic:Question about Eclipse plug-in capabilities
Next Topic:Not able to import only one particular project in eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 01:30:02 GMT 2024