Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » XML Editor kills Eclipse e4 (4.2.1) on Linux(Opening two XML editors kill e4 on Linux - please help platform team)
XML Editor kills Eclipse e4 (4.2.1) on Linux [message #958723] Fri, 26 October 2012 07:03 Go to next message
Jörg von  Frantzius is currently offline Jörg von FrantziusFriend
Hi,

there currently exists a very very annoying bug, where simply opening two XML editors results in delays of almost minutes when opening any dialog, e.g. the find dialog (Ctrl+F).

I opened https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=391127 against Platform / SWT, because there is no WTP plugin showing up in any stack traces when taking thread dumps. Also, I guess that the XML editor in Juno doesn't behave differently from the one for the 3.x stream, so this seems to be a platform bug.

As you may have heard, there isn't many developers anymore assigned to Eclipse platform. There wasn't any feedback from the team in the bug report since they were able to reproduce it. My guess is that this is due to their lack of resources.

It would be great if any WTP developer involved with the XML editor could have a look, it's easy to reproduce:

1. download eclipse-SDK-4.2.1-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz
  2. install "Eclipse XML Editors and Tools 3.4.1.v201208170345-7H7GFeFDxumUpsw5rgjWnKDrsz0p4ymwjQz00T2S" from Juno update site
  3. create two empty XML files and haven them open in editors
  4. open *any* dialog, e.g. find dialog (won't open in empty editor), or "About Eclipse SDK"
  5. observe delay

Since the XML editor is pretty much ubiquitous and hard to avoid working with, I'd think this is a severe bug for e4 on Linux. So if you have an idea what the XML editor might be doing, or what's going wrong in platform, it would be great if you could help out and comment on the bug!

Best regards,
Jörg
Re: XML Editor kills Eclipse e4 (4.2.1) on Linux [message #976452 is a reply to message #958723] Thu, 08 November 2012 15:43 Go to previous message
Jörg von  Frantzius is currently offline Jörg von FrantziusFriend
Luckily and finally, this bug (and a number of others probably) seems to got fixed with http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/eclipse/downloads/drops4/M20121107-1200/eclipse-SDK-M20121107-1200-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz

Phew, e4 is still alive...
Previous Topic:Local Client Problem
Next Topic:Failed while installing Axis2 Web Services Core 1.1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 04:19:13 GMT 2024