Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Eclipse CDT C/C++ Browsing Perspective(How to browse classes in a Eclipse CDT C++ Project or Workspace ?)
Eclipse CDT C/C++ Browsing Perspective [message #900883] Wed, 08 August 2012 19:40 Go to next message
alessandro b is currently offline alessandro bFriend
Hello everybody,

i am a new eclipse user, and i am comparing eclipse with other popular IDEs.

WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE ECLIPSE CDT C/C++ BROWSING PERSPECTIVE, for browsing and navigating classes, namespaces, functions, etc. within C++ projects ?

I can search and navigate with the Menu "Navigate"->"Open Type in Hierarchy" and somehow with the C++ search, but it is not the same as in a good class browser like in other popular IDEs.

So i am very disappointed !

Can someone please help me ? Is there a plugin for a C++ class browser or an advanced search for listing classes and other resources alphabetically (within the whole project and recursively in ALL the include files at once) ?

Thanks
Re: Eclipse CDT C/C++ Browsing Perspective [message #901325 is a reply to message #900883] Fri, 10 August 2012 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yevgeny Shifrin is currently offline Yevgeny ShifrinFriend
Hi,

I am not sure what you mean by browsing perspective.

Eclipse CDT provides very rich functionality:
* Call Hierarchy
* Type Hierarchy
* Navigation (select class, method, member, etc) and press F3.
* Outline view (for file opened in active editor) which shows all elements of this file.
* Include view (shows includes hierarchy)
* Ctrl+Shift+R - opens all resources in your workspace and you can find any file by its name.
* Ctrl+Shift+T - Open element (for example: namespace::MyClass::Method1).
* Search->C/C++ - You can search for C/C++ elements.

This is only partial list. Which functionality is missing for you?

Thanks,
Yevgeny

[Updated on: Fri, 10 August 2012 19:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse CDT C/C++ Browsing Perspective [message #901354 is a reply to message #900883] Sat, 11 August 2012 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alessandro b is currently offline alessandro bFriend
Look at this:

ftp://ftp.ulakbim.gov.tr/eclipse/eclipseMirror/tools/cdt/docs/specs/Feature_Specs/CDT_Class_Browser/CDTClassBrowser.html

kdevelop.org/screenshots/container-types-class-browser
(but the image refers to a python file !)

preview3.vivid-planet.com/1.3/doc/manual/index-10.html

So a class browser is intended for viewing ALL classes (with members and member dunctions) that are available in a project (or workspace, or collection of files...).

In Eclipse CDT i can search for one (or a collection of) class with the C++ search or the Navigate"->"Open Type in Hierarchy" but i cannot see an easy to navigate (alphabetical) list of all classes that i can browse (or manipulate).
Re: Eclipse CDT C/C++ Browsing Perspective [message #901497 is a reply to message #901354] Mon, 13 August 2012 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
alessandro b wrote on Sat, 11 August 2012 12:31
Look at this:

ftp://ftp.ulakbim.gov.tr/eclipse/eclipseMirror/tools/cdt/docs/specs/Feature_Specs/CDT_Class_Browser/CDTClassBrowser.html

kdevelop.org/screenshots/container-types-class-browser
(but the image refers to a python file !)

preview3.vivid-planet.com/1.3/doc/manual/index-10.html

So a class browser is intended for viewing ALL classes (with members and member dunctions) that are available in a project (or workspace, or collection of files...).

In Eclipse CDT i can search for one (or a collection of) class with the C++ search or the Navigate"->"Open Type in Hierarchy" but i cannot see an easy to navigate (alphabetical) list of all classes that i can browse (or manipulate).

Ctrl+Shift+T - Open element:
Uncheck everything but Class and enter *
Then you will get an alphabetical list of all classes

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Eclipse CDT C/C++ Browsing Perspective [message #1691305 is a reply to message #900883] Sun, 05 April 2015 08:35 Go to previous message
Dennis Chin is currently offline Dennis ChinFriend
I found this post when looking for a class view to browse C++ source. The solution here kind of works but is a poor match for my needs -- I'm learning source I don't know. Is there a way to, say, dock this view so that its a part of the workspace like the old class browser? If not, is there another way to set up the workspace so that I can get another birds-eye-view of the *project* (instead of the filesystem) that is equally illuminative for learning new source? I'm also interested in recommendations for how people learn C++ foreign source with Eclipse. (My method in VS has been: "start in the class browser and browse", which actually works awesomely, but I need to get away from VS).
Previous Topic:Excluding folders from dependencies autogenerated by eclipse?
Next Topic:OpenGL project only executes directly from .EXE file (not in IDE)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 19:44:12 GMT 2024