Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » start application window from osgi console
start application window from osgi console [message #895391] Thu, 12 July 2012 16:47 Go to next message
Jan Pfeil is currently offline Jan PfeilFriend
Hi,

I want to start my e4 application from the osgi console by command. Is that possible?

My simple e4 application runs well so far. It uses e4 application model and declarative services.
My product based launch configuration uses VM arguments -Dosgi.noShutdown=true and Program arguments -consoleLog -console.

When I close the main window I can run commands from the console.
I'd like to restart the application window from the console now.

I tried the apps and startApp commands to no success and I don't even know if this is a useful approach.
When the application window is present I get:
osgi>apps
org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.E4Application [running] [not launchable]

when the application window is closed I get:
osgi>apps
org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.E4Application [launchable]

startApp gives me
osgi> startApp org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.E4Application
Launched application instance: org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.E4Application.1

but no application window opens.

Any ideas?

Jan

[Updated on: Mon, 16 July 2012 15:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: start application window from osgi console [message #895895 is a reply to message #895391] Mon, 16 July 2012 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joseph Carroll is currently offline Joseph CarrollFriend

Jan-

What are you trying to accomplish by starting the eclipse application from the console?

I am certainly not an osgi expert, but I will see what I can come up with.

JD
Re: start application window from osgi console [message #895955 is a reply to message #895895] Mon, 16 July 2012 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Pfeil is currently offline Jan PfeilFriend
@JD
My intention is to have a backend constantly running. The backend is processing data feeds.
I want to run some kind of admin user interface (e4) provided by a bundle in that osgi container. That UI would run on demand by starting the bundle.
The only alternative I see is to run the UI in a separate container and establish a communication stack between the two.

Jan
Re: start application window from osgi console [message #896301 is a reply to message #895955] Tue, 17 July 2012 23:09 Go to previous message
Joseph Carroll is currently offline Joseph CarrollFriend

Jan-

I checked around a little and it seems to be possible to run a dynamic GUI application from the console. Some one pointed me towards the Equinox wiki [1] which has several great examples. However, I do not believe it is possible to run an Eclipse4 application from the console due to completing resources.

If I come up with anything more over the next several days I'll post it here, so make sure you have post notification selected.

Take care,

JD

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_Application_Model_Demo#Running_using_the_application_selector_GUI
Previous Topic:'simple' has been deprecated: renamed as swt-simple
Next Topic:CSS & DI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:25:17 GMT 2024