Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » Application Development Cover Story -- No EGL?!(IBM author missed the boat on this one)
Application Development Cover Story -- No EGL?! [message #894858] Tue, 10 July 2012 19:40 Go to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend
Interesting read in iPro Developer magazine:

http://www.iprodeveloper.com/article/application-development-tools/directions-ibm-ibm-application-development-699315

Notice anything missing? Somehow IBM's own Tim Rowe, the "business architect for application development on IBM i" with "responsibility for ensuring that the platform has the infrastructure and components necessary for customers to develop, build, and run applications on IBM i" and someone who "works with Rational and WebSphere on a daily basis" failed to mention EGL, Rational Business Developer, and EDT (which prominently features IBM i support!) in his IBM i application modernization article.

I love the article's sub-title "IBM suggests adopting newer tools for i to keep pace with change." Apparently just not any of IBM's own tools designed specifically for this purpose!

Oh, and by the way, Mr. Rowe's article was the cover story for the June issue. The cover says "Get Directions: IBM on IBM i Application Development." So here comes IBM offering direction to IBM i developers and ......... hmmm, no mention of IBM's EGL products. Terrific!

This is what I'm talking about when I say that IBM is completely missing the boat when it comes to getting the good word about EGL and EDT out to the masses. I can write a hundred article about EGL but if your own guy either isn't aware of EGL/EDT or doesn't believe in it enough to mention it in a cover story for iPro Developer then you're done. You can forget about the IBM i market.

--Dan
Re: Application Development Cover Story -- No EGL?! [message #894870 is a reply to message #894858] Tue, 10 July 2012 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nathan Reed is currently offline Nathan ReedFriend
Dan:

Spot on. I quit mentioning it to iseries customers. They do not believe it will stick. Wonder why.

Nathan Reed
Re: Application Development Cover Story -- No EGL?! [message #895064 is a reply to message #894870] Wed, 11 July 2012 15:02 Go to previous message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend
Sending a note to Mr. Rowe is the best thing we all can do. Let him know that we're disappointed in the omission of EGL and its Rational tooling from his article and ask him for some clarification -- is EGL still considered strategic for IBM i?

Here's his address: timmr@us.ibm.com

He included his e-mail address in his article so I think he will welcome the feedback.

--Dan
Previous Topic:[Requesting feedback] Drop support for Eclipse 3.6?
Next Topic:IBM i Program Call under 0.81 M3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 09:55:33 GMT 2024