Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Use CDT to Generate Makefile from Within Ant build.xml
Use CDT to Generate Makefile from Within Ant build.xml [message #892779] Fri, 29 June 2012 15:41 Go to next message
Reece Johnston is currently offline Reece JohnstonFriend
I was wondering if there is a way to call the CDT builder and just generate the makefile and its .mk files. I'm aware I can use something like "eclipse -nosplash -application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild -data ${workspace_loc} -build ${project_loc}/Debug" from a command line to kick off the entire build process for a single project; however, I need to run from within the IDE, and I just want the makefile, objects.mk, sources.mk, and subdir.mk files. Is there a command to do this?

Furthermore, our projects are in a constant state of flux, so it is impractical to have a hardstate makefile for each one (so don't suggest that). Ultimately, the CDT builder does a good job generating the makefile (and its supporting files), but it takes an unacceptably long time to build (~3 min compared to ~12 s when just using make in Ant).

Also, if anyone could point me in a direction such that I could include this as a(n) exec/command in an Ant build.xml, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Reece

::System Info::
Eclipse: Indigo SR2 (2.7.*)
CDT: Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Linux Developers 1.4.2.20120213-0813
Ant: Apache Ant 1.8
Re: Use CDT to Generate Makefile from Within Ant build.xml [message #893848 is a reply to message #892779] Thu, 05 July 2012 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reece Johnston is currently offline Reece JohnstonFriend
Well, I solved my own problem (sort of). It's not the cleanest solution, but you can keep the CDT builder enabled and remove all the build commands from your C/C++ Build Settings for each project. This will still call the CDT builder internally in the IDE, but with blank build commands given, nothing will be executed outside of the makefile generation. Then, the IDE moves onto the next builder (the Ant builder); where build execution occurs.

If anyone knows a way of doing this without keeping the CDT builder enabled, it would still be worth knowing.

Thanks,
Reece
Re: Use CDT to Generate Makefile from Within Ant build.xml [message #1131619 is a reply to message #892779] Thu, 10 October 2013 17:35 Go to previous message
Dan S is currently offline Dan SFriend
Also interested in this feature...
Previous Topic:Many errors launching Eclipse C/C++
Next Topic:Extension point loading problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:10:04 GMT 2024