Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Activity bindings vs model processors
Activity bindings vs model processors [message #892255] Wed, 27 June 2012 14:04 Go to next message
Paul Bilnoski is currently offline Paul BilnoskiFriend
In an Eclipse 3.x app I worked on, we used activity bindings as part of a user authorization system to hide UI elements (menu items, view parts, perspectives) that an account did not have access to. The app was composed of bundles which each contributed "permissions" and activity bindings, and a global service tied permission enablement to the activity system.

In Eclipse 4.x, I read about the Model Processor which could crawl the application model and make changes.

Is it a recommended or even practical approach to use model processors in e4 as a replacement to activity bindings from 3.x, or do activity bindings still work as they did?

Is it a good practice to have a model processor react live to the application, or should its lifecycle simply be on application startup? How about having a model processor register listeners to the model that react?

Where can I look for more information about better use of model processors? I've checked the help.eclipse.org and a tutorial, but did not find info about it on wiki.eclipse.org
Re: Activity bindings vs model processors [message #892271 is a reply to message #892255] Wed, 27 June 2012 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christoph Keimel is currently offline Christoph KeimelFriend
We have something similar in our application. I used the @ProcessAdditions and @ProcessRemovals hooks in the LifeCycleHandler to traverse and edit the application model.

Re: Activity bindings vs model processors [message #892529 is a reply to message #892271] Thu, 28 June 2012 14:35 Go to previous message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

We often use model addons. We often use these to translate the model into the runtime, and as part of the startup they register listeners that can later react to model changes and update the runtime.

We've been using processors to update the model before it goes live ... but I'm less sure of the implications of adding a listener during them, as they have no dispose lifecycle.

It might be that the LifeCycleHandler is a better fit for this kind of use.

PW

Previous Topic:Add Binding Context programmatically
Next Topic:Official upgrade route for 3.x to Juno
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 25 22:13:41 GMT 2024