Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » HELP: Debugger often unresponsive - came from nowhere
HELP: Debugger often unresponsive - came from nowhere [message #872682] Wed, 16 May 2012 15:33
Steve Johnson is currently offline Steve JohnsonFriend
I've been using CDT for more than a year now, including using it to drive gdb. I went to debug some code the other day and after hitting and stopping at my breakpoint, none of the controls like Step Over, Step Into, Continue, etc. did anything. The only thing that works is the Kill control that kills the paused app.

I tried stopping at other places in my code with mixed results. Sometimes I can step, and sometimes I can't. I turned on "stop in main" and I CAN step at the very start of the program. It's not a shared library issue, because all of the breakpoints I'm trying are in the main binary. There's nothing I can think of that is special about one place in the code vs another.

I'm running Indigo on Fedora 16 x64 with stock gcc components. I didn't remember updating anything in the last few days, but I might have run a "yum update". The only thing I can think of is that gdb got updated and the new version doesn't work well with CDT.

I had been planning to switch my development box to new hardware at the time, so I figured I'd build a fresh Fedora 16 box and that would probably solve the problem. NO WAY. After doing a complete build from bare metal, I'm having the exact same problem on the new box. This fact eliminates a lot of possibilities, doesn't it?

There's nothing interesting about my code. It's just a C++ app that uses Qt and OpenGL. It uses some external, dynamically linked libraries, but none of those are directly involved with this issue. Nothing significant has changed in terms of the app's architecture in months.

Can anyone give me any clues as to why the debugger has stopped working for me? If necessary, I'd be willing to pay for some help in fixing this.

TIA
Previous Topic:var type could not be resolved, but programm can be compiled
Next Topic:adding toolchain to c project created by plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:24:26 GMT 2024