Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Paste Corrupts Code?(Editing C++ code)
Paste Corrupts Code? [message #872361] Wed, 16 May 2012 01:08 Go to next message
Gary Price is currently offline Gary PriceFriend
I recently started using Eclipse Helios on CentOS 64-bit Linux release 6.2. I am using it in a VMWare VM running on top of Windows 7-64. I am using the Perforce plug-in.

In the C++ environment I frequently find code from the clipboard, or code that I have replaced from the clipboard, dropped at random places in the code. Here is an example, edited to make it a little simpler than in the original. In particular N and G are really qualified variable names that are about 20 characters long.

Take the line
f(2, A, "text1", N);

I copied G from somewhere and then pasted G over N. Later I got a compiler error, on this line, further down the same file:

g(15, B, "text2", X);N

Notice how the text I replaced (N) has been placed at the end of an unrelated line.

Sometimes a whole block of text I have copied is moved to some other random location.

Is this a known bug, a usage error, or a new bug? Could it be related to being used on a VM? I have used a range of other editors on VMs for the last few years and have not seen this behavior before.

Gary Price

[Updated on: Sat, 19 May 2012 02:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Paste Corrupts Code? [message #874089 is a reply to message #872361] Sat, 19 May 2012 23:44 Go to previous message
Gary Price is currently offline Gary PriceFriend
I solved this mystery. My mouse wheel has become over-sensitive. When I use it to scroll quickly it gets spurious clicks and drops the clipboard wherever it happened to be at the time. It's not visible immediately because I've scrolled past the position where it happened. One solution is to disable the middle-button click. A way of doing that is described in dev-loki at blogspot on 2007/12: disable-middle-mouse-pasting-sort-of.
Previous Topic:Change project build order..is it possible?
Next Topic:File won't run
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 03:29:15 GMT 2024