Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Orion (Archived) » git tags for milestones(how to determine what tag to use when checking out the code for a specific milestone or release?)
git tags for milestones [message #861552] Sat, 28 April 2012 16:28 Go to next message
Rafael Chaves is currently offline Rafael ChavesFriend
Hi,

Is there a simple way of determining the source code that went into a milestone build?

I have been trying to get the most recent stable code for Orion from git - the latest milestone seems a good choice. After some digging around, this is what I did:

0) couldn't find any obvious 0.5 M1 tag on the git repository

1) from the download page, found out that the build timestamp for 0.5M1 was 201204131740.

2) searched the Orion server git repository for a ref/tag with that timestamp, found a tag named I201204131740. Good, cloned the Orion server repo with that tag:

git clone http: ... git.eclipse.org/gitroot/orion/org.eclipse.orion.server.git -b I201204131740

3) for the client it was not as easy as there wasn't such tag. I could assume I should use the last tag before that server tag, but I could well be wrong (client work could have started on the next milestone).

Help appreciated. Cheers,

Rafael
Re: git tags for milestones [message #861567 is a reply to message #861552] Sat, 28 April 2012 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rafael Chaves is currently offline Rafael ChavesFriend
Hmm. The orion.map file has the exact tags for all included bundles, which are different from bundle to bundle (thus my method for getting the server code above was broken, as it may get code that was not contributed to that build) - that rang a bell now. I guess there is no single tag that is applied to all of the code? (that would allow one to get the right code with just a couple of git commands).
Re: git tags for milestones [message #865862 is a reply to message #861552] Mon, 30 April 2012 16:08 Go to previous message
John Arthorne is currently offline John ArthorneFriend
There is no easy way to do this. The same problem exists for the Eclipse platform too. At a low level you can see exactly what went into the build by looking at the map:

http://download.eclipse.org/orion/drops/S-0.5M1-201204131740/directory.txt

But as you noted this isn't helpful in Git because you can't checkout multiple tags on a repository at once (well you can but it's painful). It turns out in Orion we produce builds by tagging the contents of master at the start of the build. So in practice every Orion build contains the contents of master at the moment the build started. The timestamps of the tags themselves don't correlate with the time of the build... this just happens to work on the orion.server repository because that is where the map files live so they always change at the start of each build.

What would work is checking out the "greatest" tag from the map file in each repository. This is a bit painful to figure out but it's the best thing I can think of right now. For the server you had the right tag. For the client this is the 0.5 M1 commit:

http://git.eclipse.org/c/orion/org.eclipse.orion.client.git/commit/?id=8999bcc29dd7e76b1f253a9f6726ead56e7aa32a
Previous Topic:Orion as a P2 update site
Next Topic:Syntax Highlighting Problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 11:53:35 GMT 2024