Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Possible bug due to keywords with "special" chars
icon5.gif  Possible bug due to keywords with "special" chars [message #852165] Sat, 21 April 2012 18:50 Go to next message
Massimo Rabbi is currently offline Massimo RabbiFriend
Hi all,
during tests with my grammar I've found a strange behavior and what I think it could be a bug.
Let's take also the sample Xtext grammar for "Hello World!".
It is enough to create a new xtext project and then modify the grammar a little bit:

Model:
	greetings+=Greeting*;

Greeting:
	'$Hello' name=ID '!';

As you can see I've modified the keyword 'Hello' into '$Hello' but you can use for example another "special" char like for example & (ampersand).

Now after grammar generation, launch the runtime to test-it.
If you create a new file and start typing the keyword after digiting $, when you press enter H character an exception is thrown in the original workspace console. However, you can see it also opening the problems view in the runtime workspace.

This is a part of the exception.
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Index out of bounds
	at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4263)
	at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4197)
	at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4168)
	at org.eclipse.swt.custom.StyledText.setStyleRanges(StyledText.java:9661)
	at org.eclipse.swt.custom.StyledText.replaceStyleRanges(StyledText.java:7713)
	at org.eclipse.jface.text.TextViewer.addPresentation(TextViewer.java:4811)
	at org.eclipse.jface.text.TextViewer.changeTextPresentation(TextViewer.java:4890)
	at org.eclipse.jface.text.presentation.PresentationReconciler.applyTextRegionCollection(PresentationReconciler.java:579)
	at org.eclipse.jface.text.presentation.PresentationReconciler.processDamage(PresentationReconciler.java:568)
	at org.eclipse.jface.text.presentation.PresentationReconciler.access$3(PresentationReconciler.java:564)
	at org.eclipse.jface.text.presentation.PresentationReconciler$InternalListener.textChanged(PresentationReconciler.java:225)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.XtextSourceViewer.updateTextListeners(XtextSourceViewer.java:112)
	at org.eclipse.jface.text.TextViewer.invalidateTextPresentation(TextViewer.java:3467)
	at org.eclipse.jface.text.source.AnnotationPainter.invalidateTextPresentation(AnnotationPainter.java:962)
	at org.eclipse.jface.text.source.AnnotationPainter.updatePainting(AnnotationPainter.java:944)
	at org.eclipse.jface.text.source.AnnotationPainter.access$1(AnnotationPainter.java:938)
	at org.eclipse.jface.text.source.AnnotationPainter$1.run(AnnotationPainter.java:1077)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:135)
	... 23 more

Looking in Bugzilla I found the bug 339779 (hxxps://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=339779) that was marked as CLOSED WORKFORME.
The scenario is not the same, however the error is pretty similar.

Additional details
- it occurs on both MacOSX 10.7.3 and Windows 7 64bit. The actual version of Xtext installed is 2.2.1.
- a "dirty" trick to solve this problem is to split the keyword so '$Hello' becomes '$' 'Hello', the exception in this case is not raised.

Someone else has ever verified a similar problem?
Re: Possible bug due to keywords with "special" chars [message #852187 is a reply to message #852165] Sat, 21 April 2012 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi,

i can reproduce this problem in 2.2.1
i cannot reproduce it in 2.3.0M6
could you try 2.3.0M6 too?
(milestone update site or http://download.itemis.com/distros/eclipsecon2012)
if you can reproduce it with 2.3.0M6 please file a ticket.

~Christian

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Possible bug due to keywords with "special" chars [message #852895 is a reply to message #852187] Sun, 22 April 2012 12:51 Go to previous message
Massimo Rabbi is currently offline Massimo RabbiFriend
Hi Christian,
thanks for the reply.
Just tested on my Win7 notebook with both Eclipse Indigo 3.7.2 (Xtext 2.3M6) and EclipseCon package.
As you said I was not able to reproduce it.

I suppose the problem has been fixed in the meanwhile.
Thanks.
Massimo.
Previous Topic:cross referencing resource contents of another language
Next Topic:Providing context values for the Xbase interpreter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:07:42 GMT 2024