Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Orion (Archived) » Orion deployable as a WAR
Orion deployable as a WAR [message #852146] Sat, 21 April 2012 18:27 Go to next message
Rafael Chaves is currently offline Rafael ChavesFriend
Has anyone deployed Orion into a JEE web container (as a WAR), for instance, using the Equinox servlet bridge (although that stuff seems outdated)? That is a prerequisite to deploy Java applications on many PaaS providers (like CloudBees).

Does the Orion team see that as an important use case? Is that somewhere on the roadmap?
Re: Orion deployable as a WAR [message #855030 is a reply to message #852146] Tue, 24 April 2012 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Arthorne is currently offline John ArthorneFriend
Orion currently consists of simple servlets and static resources registered using equinox.http.servlet so this should definitely be possible. I'm not aware of anyone who has tried packaging Orion as a WAR though.

I definitely think it is a valuable use case. What do you think the Orion project could do to enable this? If we packaged vanilla Orion as a WAR would that be useful? I suspect most people would deploy Orion as part of a larger application or site so I'm not sure how valuable that is.
Re: Orion deployable as a WAR [message #855339 is a reply to message #855030] Tue, 24 April 2012 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rafael Chaves is currently offline Rafael ChavesFriend
Hey John,

Quote:
What do you think the Orion project could do to enable this? If we packaged vanilla Orion as a WAR would that be useful?

Yeah (as a secondary packaging, as opposed to replacing the standalone Equinox app).

Quote:
I suspect most people would deploy Orion as part of a larger application or site so I'm not sure how valuable that is.

I am not sure I got this point, but it would be easy for me to copy whatever artifact Orion shipped with to produce a WAR and tweak it to make it my own (and include my own bits). No need to make it extensible, exemplary is more like it.

Cheers,

Rafael
Re: Orion deployable as a WAR [message #856602 is a reply to message #855339] Wed, 25 April 2012 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leo R is currently offline Leo RFriend
I am currently trying the servletbridge approach together with
RAP and WAR Production Tooling in order to deploy Orion as a war file.
It looks promising but I havn't been able to get it running.

When I try to export Orion with its target platform dependencies the export fails due to a cyclic dependency between ch.qos.logback.slf4j and slf4j.api (I can imagine that for the deployment in a servlet container the dependencies have to be completely resolved so that the Eclipse-GenericRequires/Capability might be a problem?).
I could work around that, but got other dependency problems I could not yet solve.

If someone is making some progress in this area I'd be happy hear about it.

Regards,

Leo
Re: Orion deployable as a WAR [message #857698 is a reply to message #856602] Thu, 26 April 2012 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Leo, thanks for reporting your investigation so far on this. I noticed that there is a newer org.slf4j available that doesn't introduce that circularity, so I have opened a bug to move us up to that:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=377822

John
Re: Orion deployable as a WAR [message #857702 is a reply to message #855339] Thu, 26 April 2012 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rafael Chaves wrote on Tue, 24 April 2012 14:29

I am not sure I got this point, but it would be easy for me to copy whatever artifact Orion shipped with to produce a WAR and tweak it to make it my own (and include my own bits). No need to make it extensible, exemplary is more like it.

I have opened a bug to at least track investigating this. I don't know of any current Orion committers with cycles to spend on this, but we should definitely resolve any roadblocks to making this happen (such as the circularity problem mentioned here). If anyone is exploring this, please chime in here or in the bug with your progress.
Re: Orion deployable as a WAR [message #869906 is a reply to message #856602] Fri, 04 May 2012 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leo R wrote on Wed, 25 April 2012 16:37

When I try to export Orion with its target platform dependencies the export fails due to a cyclic dependency between ch.qos.logback.slf4j and slf4j.api (I can imagine that for the deployment in a servlet container the dependencies have to be completely resolved so that the Eclipse-GenericRequires/Capability might be a problem?).

Just a quick follow-up on this one. As of today's Orion build (May 4, 2012), we are using a new version of SLF4J that does not have this cyclic dependency. Hope that helps...

John
Re: Orion deployable as a WAR [message #1453354 is a reply to message #856602] Sun, 26 October 2014 21:29 Go to previous message
Adrian Barzola is currently offline Adrian BarzolaFriend
Regards,
I'm new to this, I would like you to help me telling me how you can export eclipse orion using RAP and WAR Production Tooling as a war. Thanks for your help.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Orion Json code expand collapse
Next Topic:Linking to existing content?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:24:39 GMT 2024