Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Beginners Notes(Cant even get Hello World up)
Beginners Notes [message #838417] Sat, 07 April 2012 02:34 Go to next message
Arjun Dhar is currently offline Arjun DharFriend
Hi,
I was following your article @ wiki.eclipse.org/Scout/Tutorial/HelloWorld

I tried a few things and conceptually I just found it wrong for this framework to allow/handle. I could be wrong, but thought worthwhile sharing notes:

Note: I created a helloworld project with "proj1" as a postfix.

1. Whenever I make changes in the Properties editor, the "Save file" option always looks disabled. I can see the code being modified as I modify properties (great) but that save file makes me wonder if the changes I'm making will have any effect.
...and anyway they are saved automatically, so I dont set the "Save File"

2. Whatever changes I make do not reflect when I run the client (server is run before I run the client SWT dev version).

I see the following in my console:
!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2012-04-06 22:24:48.097
!MESSAGE Referenced part does not exist yet: helloworld.ui.swt.proj1.views.TablePageView.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.jobs 4 2 2012-04-06 22:24:52.477
!MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Busy in 300ms".
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.eclipse.scout.commons.logger.internal.eclipse.EclipseLogWrapper.logImpl(EclipseLogWrapper.java:66)
	at org.eclipse.scout.commons.logger.internal.AbstractScoutLogger.log(AbstractScoutLogger.java:29)
	at org.eclipse.scout.commons.logger.internal.AbstractScoutLogger.warn(AbstractScoutLogger.java:147)
	at org.eclipse.scout.rt.ui.swt.AbstractSwtEnvironment.getDisplay(AbstractSwtEnvironment.java:1428)
	at org.eclipse.scout.rt.ui.swt.AbstractSwtEnvironment$4.run(AbstractSwtEnvironment.java:690)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

"helloworld.ui.swt.proj1.views.TablePageView" does Exist. Also, I have not typed a single line of code yet, so it should have no reason to complain.

Furthermore the stack trace looks like internal vomit which I dont have a handle of.

Help appreciated.
Re: Beginners Notes [message #838578 is a reply to message #838417] Sat, 07 April 2012 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bertin Kiekebosch is currently offline Bertin KiekeboschFriend
Hi,

I worked through all the examples myself in the past and they all worked fine for me. So to help you getting started, which version of Scout are you working with?

regards Bertin
Re: Beginners Notes [message #879964 is a reply to message #838417] Fri, 01 June 2012 07:58 Go to previous message
Matthias Villiger is currently offline Matthias VilligerFriend
Hi Arjun,

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us!

Now to your remarks:

1. Yes, you are right about that: when you are changing properties or operations using the Object Properties view, the file is saved automatically. And this is why the save button is disabled then because there is actually nothing to save. The button will get active as soon as you start writing business logic in the java editor. As long as you are writing there, the Properties View will be disabled. Then you can use the save button to persist your changes and the Properties View will be enabled again (and the save button disabled accordingly). If this is irritating to you, we would be very happy to hear your ideas.

2. There has been a bug in an older version where the mapping for the TablePageView was missing. This should be fixed (you have to re-create the scout project to get the fix in). The NullPointerException I have never seen before. Maybe others know more about that?

You can try it out using the new developer build which can be downloaded from here: www.eclipse.org/downloads/index-developer.php

And the corresponding tutorials can be found here: wiki.eclipse.org/Scout/Tutorial/3.8

I hope that helps. If you have further problems/questions running the application or working through the tutorials don't hesitate to ask.

regards,
matthias

Previous Topic:Scout/SDK/Designer View
Next Topic:Report
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:19:13 GMT 2024