Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Really need the book on this
Really need the book on this [message #837068] Thu, 05 April 2012 08:30 Go to next message
Phill Perryman is currently offline Phill PerrymanFriend
My next phase of my existing RCP app is to revamp the UI and I was hoping to use e4 to do this over the next few months. However the lack of informtion on how to do things is making my timescales unworkable at the moment. So for this year I am going back to 3.x and will try again next year to port to e4 when hopefully there is more information available on building an rcp application.

I think the basics are really good and the design is so much more simplistic, I think I am here just a bit too early.

My congratulations to those working on it and I will be back next year to try again, especially if somone writes an RCP for e4 book, I will buy one.

Thanks also to all those who have answered my queries here.
Re: Really need the book on this [message #837075 is a reply to message #837068] Thu, 05 April 2012 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Sorry to hear that. Anyways the fourth edition of the book "Eclipse Plug-ins (Eclipse series)" will be devoted to the eclipse e4 way of revamping apps. ETA is approx 9 months. Maybe that would be helpful.
Re: Really need the book on this [message #837120 is a reply to message #837075] Thu, 05 April 2012 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phill Perryman is currently offline Phill PerrymanFriend
That would be extremely helpful. If you need any help proofreading or trying the examples I would be only too happy to help. I have an existing rcp app used by about 3500 users consisting of 27 plugins, with multiple perspectives, editors, views, toolbars, static, dynamic and context menus, application defined extension points etc, etc which I would like to port to the much more elgant e4 paradigm. I would be happy to try reading sections of the book and trying to apply them to porting my application and feedback on the success of doing so. I will even buy the book when it is finished. Best of luck.
Re: Really need the book on this [message #837130 is a reply to message #837120] Thu, 05 April 2012 09:54 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Quote:
If you need any help proofreading or trying the examples I would be only too happy to help.

I'm glad of all the interest. Unfortunately I am not part of the team writing the book and I'm sorry if it sounded like I was. I keep an eye on the development on amazon.com but since I've not posted enough posts on the forum it wouldn't let me post links. Anyway there is more info here
amazon dot com/ Eclipse-Plug-ins-4th-Edition-Series/dp/0321774159/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333619493&sr=8-1

I'm also looking forward to a complete guide but in the mean time I just submit bugs and patches when I have the time to Smile

Good luck with your application.
Sopot
Previous Topic:Delta Pack for plugin development
Next Topic:E4 DI best practices
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 21 14:33:11 GMT 2024