Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Virgo + Apache ACE?
Virgo + Apache ACE? [message #830321] Tue, 27 March 2012 13:29 Go to next message
Rafal Krzewski is currently offline Rafal KrzewskiFriend
Hello all.

I've just learned about Apache ACE project. After reading the introduction pages I am wondering what would be relationship between ACE and Virgo. Could Virgo servers be provisioning targets for ACE? Would it be possible to run ACE management agent in Virgo? Would that work?

There seems to be quite bit of overlap in functionality between Virgo and ACE, especially in monitoring / runtime management so maybe it would not be a good idea to mix these two.

This brings me to the more general question - what about managing / provisioning a cluster of Virgo servers? I know there's some support for remote provisioning, but from reading the docs, I don't recall anything like cluster management console in the Tooling.

Regards,
Rafał
Re: Virgo + Apache ACE? [message #830396 is a reply to message #830321] Tue, 27 March 2012 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
The only clustering support in Virgo is inherited directly from Tomcat so you can define a cluster of Virgo Tomcat Servers. You can, of course, rig these up to a central Virgo instance acting as a repository server. But it's all DIY I'm afraid.

We looked seriously at clustering at least twice in the early days of the project (see this design document, and this one), but never bit it off.
Re: Virgo + Apache ACE? [message #830436 is a reply to message #830396] Tue, 27 March 2012 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Borislav Kapukaranov is currently offline Borislav KapukaranovFriend
Hi Rafal,

I'm interested in your use case. Can you share more details what you're looking for? Do you specifically need ACE provisioning or any would work?
Depending on your use case you have number of options. If you want to benefit from Virgo's regions you can use the Clustering capabilities we support via Tomcat plus the so called Virgo cloning, where there is a central Virgo instance and the clones take their binaries from there.
If you can cope with a single-region environment you can take Virgo Nano and benefit from the full-blown p2 provisioning there. It gives you ways to provision the target server and covers a really large number of provisioning use cases.

Best Regards,
Bobby
Re: Virgo + Apache ACE? [message #830615 is a reply to message #830436] Tue, 27 March 2012 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rafal Krzewski is currently offline Rafal KrzewskiFriend
Hi Borislav,

I don't have a particular use case. I'm thinking what is possible with the various bits software related to OSGi and cloud computing available right now, and those anticipated in near future.

I've learned about ACE from the following pull request @ Bndtools https github.com/bndtools/bndtools/pull/368 (the forum does not allow me to post links yet, sorry). After looking at the presentation video I can imagine using ACE to deploy code straight from Eclipse workspace to Virgo running on local Mirco Cloud Foundry instance. Further in the production cycle, ACE could be used for deployment to a cluster of Virgo servers running on an actual cloud (public or private). Hopefully using the same platform/server/provisioning tool for development as for production, would expose more problems early, when the are easier/cheaper to fix/compensate for.

There are several layers to the clustering - provisioning a group of servers is only one of them. Load balancing / high availability features of Tomcat web front end would be put to good use in cluster setup. Another layer could be peer-to-peer cache coherence coordination, yet another could be aggregated logging. The latter is quite important in a clustered scenario. If a node crashes, I wouldn't like to loose the execution logs preceding the event, or dig through the cluster's storage to find them, let all the servers connect their logging pipelines to a NoSQL database (possibly also distributed itself) and dump all the data there. Then it would be possible to correlate events from different machines, and so on, or run on-line analysis and drive the cluster scaling manager according to observed trends.
Back to our topic - ACE looks interesting to me from development environment integration standpoint, but I'll be happy to take look at the alternatives Smile

Regards,
Rafał
Re: Virgo + Apache ACE? [message #831283 is a reply to message #830615] Wed, 28 March 2012 17:57 Go to previous message
Borislav Kapukaranov is currently offline Borislav KapukaranovFriend
Hi Rafal,

Looking at your scenario I believe you may find the Eclipse Gyrex project very interesting. It takes benefit of an Eclipse RT stack to setup a cluster of instances for scaling an application, possibly in a cloud. The main mechanics behind the provisioning is p2 which scales very well as was proved by the Yoxos Eclipse distribution.

happy hunting Smile
Bobby
Previous Topic:JDK 7 bundles?
Next Topic:STS,Clud Foundry, and Virgo IDE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:57:53 GMT 2024