Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » GMF (Graphical Modeling Framework) » Creating a workflow automatically
Creating a workflow automatically [message #820258] Tue, 13 March 2012 23:02 Go to next message
eni bundo is currently offline eni bundoFriend
Hello there,

I'm new to GMF/EMF. Right now all I've done is follow the mindmap tutorial and read as much as I can (including old posts in here) on GMF/EMF, while trying to understand Ecore/genmodel and everything that defines GMF (even though its complexity and abstraction is making it difficult).

Even though i'm far from the object here's what I'd like to have at the end.

Let's say i have a tree hierarchy in XML, which after being parsed and transformed in an AST will be shown graphically using GMF.

Let's imagine that the GMF model is there well defined in advance (because these trees will all have the same kind of nodes). I'm just curious to know how all the gmf-tree-creation from AST(xml) will be made.

The tutorial for know lead me to the mindmapPalette which constructs everything little by little, by adding small stuff etc manually. What i want to have in my case is everything being automatized because the information is already there inside the xml file, inside the AST, and well i just want to transform that to my GMF tree.

Does this question make sense to you? If yes, please answer!! Smile

Sorry for the very long text and general answer. Link me to other posts and/or articles/source code/docs that are related to my problem.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Creating a workflow automatically [message #820587 is a reply to message #820258] Wed, 14 March 2012 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andreas Muelder is currently offline Andreas MuelderFriend
Hi eni,

I am not sure if I understand you right, but if you only want to visualize a node hierachy and do not want to edit the diagram,
maybe Zest is the better choice. It is less complex than GMF and provides some Tree Layout Algorithms.

Regards,
Andreas
Re: Creating a workflow automatically [message #821655 is a reply to message #820587] Thu, 15 March 2012 16:53 Go to previous message
eni bundo is currently offline eni bundoFriend
Hello,

Thanks Andreas for your response.

I didn't want to be very specific while describing my question but maybe it is better to do it.

Before I start, I will need to modify the diagram, and I'm not sure if Zest will permit me do it.

The starting xml will be something like
<loop>
 <beforeLoop>
  <say>foo bar</say>
 </beforeLoop>

<body>
	... more stuff in the body
 </body>

<afterLoop>
   <say>bar foo</say>
 </afterLoop>
</loop>

and the output should look like.

|
            O<- foo bar
            |
          _/ \__
         | LOOP |
         +------+
            |
            O<-bar foo
            | 

The user should be able to modify the content of <say>, and should add more <say>s or remove them. That is all.

Does Zest allow me this?

Thanks
Eni

[Updated on: Thu, 15 March 2012 16:55]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:GMF without Ecore model
Next Topic:refreshing/repainting figures in a diagram
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 11:12:13 GMT 2024