Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » Some Discriminator Values cause problem, while others do not(Error with some values in the @DiscriminatorColumn column, but not others)
Some Discriminator Values cause problem, while others do not [message #820175] Tue, 13 March 2012 20:29 Go to next message
Matt Looman is currently offline Matt LoomanFriend
I get the following message for only one value of the discriminator column in my inheritance structure. "Exception Description: Missing class for indicator field value [01ce19bf-46ca-11e1-9fb5-00059a3c7a00] of type [class java.lang.String]."

The problem only occurs when I include rows for the Summary class (the indicator value above). When I remove those rows from the table, the code works.

The discriminator column is a CHAR(36), but there are never any spaces. So, I don't think that's the problem.

I have a Mapped Superclass "Activity" that divides into two entities using TABLE_PER_CLASS strategy. Each of the tables "Performance" and "Plan" then further divide using "SINGLE_TABLE" strategy. The Plan table is subclassed as shown below.

Activity <-- Performance
Activity <-- Plan
Activity <-- Plan <-- Project
Activity <-- Plan <-- Project <-- Opportunity
Activity <-- Plan <-- Summary
Activity <-- Plan <-- WorkItem
Activity <-- Plan <-- WorkItem <-- Calendar
Activity <-- Plan <-- WorkItem <-- Task
Activity <-- Plan <-- WorkItem <-- Travel

The only thing that is possibly unique to the Summary class is it doesn't have any additional attributes/columns from Plan.

I've attached a file with the Plan table definition and the class definitions for Activity, Plan, Project, WorkItem and Summary. Setter/Getter methods and constructors have been removed to shorten the file.

Any help is appreciated greatly!!!!!!!!

Versions:
JPA: EclipseLink 2.2
DB: MySQL 5.5
System: Windows 7-64bit
Java: 1.6.0_25
IDE: NetBeans IDE 7.0.1
Re: Some Discriminator Values cause problem, while others do not [message #825207 is a reply to message #820175] Tue, 20 March 2012 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Sutherland is currently offline James SutherlandFriend

I'm not sure that you can change the inheritance type in subclasses, so that could be the root of your issue.
You also cannot use @Inheritance in a @MappedSuperclass, so that doesn't make sense.
Also the @DiscriminatorColumn, @Table and @Inheritance can only be given in the root entity.
If this is working at all, my guess is that the @Inheritance in the @MappedSuperclass is being ignored.
Check that the indicator is correct in Summary, looks like you may have typed it in wrong.

James : Wiki : Book : Blog : Twitter
Re: Some Discriminator Values cause problem, while others do not [message #825517 is a reply to message #825207] Tue, 20 March 2012 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for the advice on @MappedSuperclass and @Inheritance. I had found references that said EclipseLink supports mixed inheritance, but I can't find the reference again.

I have checked and rechecked the value of the discriminator column; even copying the value from the log into the java code.

I also tried adding a column/attribute unique to the Summary class, but that hasn't changed the behavior at all.

So far, I am still getting the same exception ([EclipseLink-43])

As an alternative, can anyone tell me where to put a try-catch block, so I can handle this exception gracefully, rather than have it crash my application?
Re: [UPDATE] Some Discriminator Values cause problem, while others do not [message #826977 is a reply to message #825517] Thu, 22 March 2012 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried the following with the indicated results:

Change: Created new class, "ActivityGroup" to replace "Summary", including changing the Discriminator value.
Result: Same problem resulted for the rows that should have been allocated to the "ActivityGroup"

Change: Restored the "Summary" class. Changed the values for the underlying data rows to match the discriminator value for the "Plan" class. ("Plan" is the parent class of "Summary")
Result: This corrected the problem. For now, this is a viable workaround.

From the above, it would seem that the problem is in the "Summary" class definition. It's code is provided below.

package org.pims.data;

import java.sql.Date;
import javax.persistence.DiscriminatorValue;
import javax.persistence.Entity;

/**
 * @author mlooman
 * @version 0.0
 * CHANGES:
 *  Date          Version      Description
 * -------------- ----------- ---------------------------------------------------
 *  Mar 22, 2012   0.0         Initial Implementation
 */
@Entity
@DiscriminatorValue("cc113aa4-742d-11e1-b5f9-00059a3c7a00")
public class Summary extends Plan {
  //<editor-fold defaultstate="collapsed" desc="Constructors"
  public Summary(){
    super();
  }
    public Summary(String entityIdentifier){
    super(entityIdentifier);
  }

public Summary(String entityIdentifier, int planNumber, int activitySequenceInParentOrdinal, String planCurrentState, String planCurrentReason, Date planCreationTimestamp) {
    super(entityIdentifier, planNumber, activitySequenceInParentOrdinal, planCurrentState, planCurrentReason, planCreationTimestamp);
  }
  //</editor-fold>

}
Re: [UPDATE] Some Discriminator Values cause problem, while others do not [message #827635 is a reply to message #826977] Fri, 23 March 2012 15:45 Go to previous message
Chris Delahunt is currently offline Chris DelahuntFriend
Try adding a field to the Plan table and map it only in Summary to see if the problem goes away. If it does, file a bug with a simple test case so it can be looked into further and fixed.
Previous Topic:RESOLVED: retrieving some fields from an Entity
Next Topic:Persistence.getPersistenceUtil
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:37:34 GMT 2024