Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » WANTED: Table content changed event
WANTED: Table content changed event [message #809865] Wed, 29 February 2012 11:22 Go to next message
Veselin Markov is currently offline Veselin MarkovFriend
Hello,

I have a question about Table and TableViewer. In my case I added a ViewerFilter to my TableViewer. When i set a new filtering condition to my ViewerFilter I also refresh my TableViewer so that the filtered Table is shown. Now comes the point where I want to calculate a sum of a certain column (containing numbers)of all the rows of the table and write it in a Text object. What I've done is that the filter takes care of updateing the Text, but thats not logically correct as it's not the filters job to do this. I searched for an event of Table or TableViewer that tells me if TableItems (rows) are added or removed from the Table but found nothing. Is there such an event?

Thanks
Veselin
Re: WANTED: Table content changed event [message #810230 is a reply to message #809865] Wed, 29 February 2012 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I run into similar issues few weeks ago. Since there is really no event after refilter/resort a table viewer I came up with the solution to override the table viewer.

private class MyTableViewer extends TableViewer {
    public MyTableViewer(Composite parent) {
      super(parent);
    }

@Override
    protected Object[] getSortedChildren(Object parent) {
      Object[] finalElements = super.getSortedChildren(parent);
      // do your calculations on the elements or inform an event handler
      return finalElements;
    }
  }

Any better solution?

-andreas
Re: WANTED: Table content changed event [message #811582 is a reply to message #810230] Fri, 02 March 2012 14:57 Go to previous message
Veselin Markov is currently offline Veselin MarkovFriend
Hello Andreas,

I have come up with the following solution:
public class TableViewerSendingContentChangedEvent extends TableViewer {

protected EventListenerSupport<ChangeListener> eventHandler;
	/**
	 * Calls only the super constructor
	 * @param parent
	 * @param style
	 * @see org.eclipse.jface.viewers.TableViewer.TableViewer(Composite parent, int style)
	 */
	public TableViewerSendingContentChangedEvent(Composite parent, int style) {
		super(parent, style);
		eventHandler = EventListenerSupport.create(ChangeListener.class);
	}

/*
	 * (non-Javadoc)
	 * @see org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer#internalRefresh(java.lang.Object)
	 */
	protected void internalRefresh(Object element) {
		super.internalRefresh(element);
		eventHandler.fire().stateChanged(new ChangeEvent(this));
	}

public void addRefreshListener(ChangeListener aApp) {
		eventHandler.addListener(aApp);
	}
}

What I've done ist override the internalRefresh method, so it sends an event when the table has been refreshed. I find this is a better place to insert the event as getSortedChildren() because it I need an event when the table changes and not when sorted children are required. At the end its the same but I find it more logical this way.
The next step is to check if add() and remove() use internalRefresh().

Thanks for the hint with extending TableViewer. I'm sure I would've come to this eventually but wanted to know if an event isn't implemented already. Maybe it's worth a feature request ticket. What do you think?
Previous Topic:How can I set text limit per byte size on Text widget?
Next Topic:Tree with Multiple Columns - Renderer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:58:17 GMT 2024