Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » [buckminster headless] Is there an out-of-the-box way to build a product?(Building a product with Buckminster headless)
[buckminster headless] Is there an out-of-the-box way to build a product? [message #784318] Fri, 27 January 2012 10:56 Go to next message
Gerard Maas is currently offline Gerard MaasFriend
Hi all,

Question:

Given that eclipse provides a wizard to generate a product artifact based on a .product file, isn't there a buckminster task to programmatically execute this process instead of the .cspex method? (which looks contrieved and currently is not working for me, failing on the ant task with an error 13 code).

Background

I've inherited a codebase that uses Buckminster for building and testing. From far, the headless Hudson-based build process looked like a charm with very few touch points and build artifacts in the code base. Like a black magic build.
Yet, when looking under the hood, it was only working on one machine that had the buckminster installation done locally and it uses some customized ways to put things together.

I'm delving now into the build to make it available to all our Hudson slaves as well as allow our dev's to build and test locally.

It has been a tough journey to get to learn the Buckminster mechanics. I'd describe it as powerful but quite complex on the first bite. One particular source of trouble is that our build was sustained by two custom tasks that somehow shortcutted the resolution and materialization phases of the Buckminster processes. Those tasks are not working on the distributed env, so I'm looking to replace them by standard Buckminster constructions.

With the help of the often referenced (www.ralfebert.de/blog/eclipsercp/rcp_builds/)RPC builds tutorial and the BuckyBook, I got the materialization, build and p2 generation phases working, but I'm still having troubles with packaging the product together. To build the product I'm using the cspex method described in the tutorial and further discussed here: Buckminster 3.6 - Headless - customize products (www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/752452/). Yet, this process looks contrieved and it's currently failing on some internal ant sub-task.

Given that building and packaging a product looks like a common UC, I wonder if there's a Buckminster task to achieve that in a more straightforward way?

One of the custom tasks in our codebase is exactly doing that:

buckminster xprd --platform linux:gtk/x86,linux:gtk/x86_64 --cycles --destination product.zip <your-product-def>.product

which seems like a neat way to achieve the packaging goal, but once I took it out of the local install it's not working anymore and I'd prefer an out-of-the-box solution iso of roll-your-own.

Any help out there?

many thanks, Gerard

PS: Sorry, no links b/c I'm a forum n00b
Re: [buckminster headless] Is there an out-of-the-box way to build a product? [message #784434 is a reply to message #784318] Fri, 27 January 2012 14:19 Go to previous message
Matthew Webber is currently offline Matthew WebberFriend
We often have product builds failing with RC 13, and it's always due to incorrect dependencies. Specifically, I have feature F1 which includes a number of other features Fn, and plugins Pn. When we build the product associated with F1, then it collects all the plugins mentioned in all the Fn, but DOES NOT include plugins that are solely dependencies of plugins (rather than features).

So, if you have a plugin Px that depends on another plugin Py, Py must be listed in one of the features. RC 13 means that is not the case.

The problem is working out which plugin is missing and needs to be added to one of the features. You can find out by looking in the log at either ${workspace_root}/.metadata/.log or something like ~/.eclipse/626335158/configuration/1320234741097.log. See the discussion at http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/261439/

By the way, this is not a specific Buckminster problem. The same thing happens with PDE build.

Hope that helps
Matthew
Previous Topic:How to get complete classpath for an action
Next Topic:"Cannot open launch config from" when trying to run junit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:10:49 GMT 2024