Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Target Management » Problem with remote debugging
Problem with remote debugging [message #775067] Thu, 05 January 2012 08:56 Go to next message
Jan Pohanka is currently offline Jan PohankaFriend
Hello,

I want to debug a C application on embedded linux using RSE. I have created a new connection in RSE Perspective and there I can browse the files (download and upload with drag and drop), run a console or a shell without problems.

Then I created a new debug configuration where I specified the remote connection, path to store the files and debugger options. Unfortunately when I try to run the debug session I'm getting following error

2012-01-05 09:52:30.639 | Worker-16 | SftpFileService.upload rse
2012-01-05 09:52:30.643 | Worker-16 | Sftp-monitor: 2320221, capture_dmai
########################################################################
Sftp-monitor <--
2012-01-05 09:52:33.504 | Worker-16 | SftpFileService.upload rse ok
2012-01-05 09:52:33.508 | Worker-16 | SftpFileService.upload /root/rse failed: org.eclipse.rse.services.files.RemoteFileIOException: Operation failed. File system input or output error

The file is uploaded (I can see it on the remote target) but no gdbserver or a command to execute before application (chmod +x) is executed there. I have tried also to upload the file manually and skip the download, but the situation is the same, none is executed on remote system.

Could please anyone give me some hint how to solve this problem?

I'm using Eclipse Indigo with TM 3.3 on Ubuntu 11.10.

best regards
Jan

[Updated on: Thu, 05 January 2012 08:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem with remote debugging [message #775175 is a reply to message #775067] Thu, 05 January 2012 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,
I have solved one part of a problem. I had only a directory specified in the Remote absolute file path for C application. Unfortunately now I have another problem - the application and gdbserver are not executed on the target.

If I try to create only run configuration on remote target then the console is created but nothing is executed there - I can only run commands manually there.

any ideas?

regards
Jan
Re: Problem with remote debugging [message #780084 is a reply to message #775175] Tue, 17 January 2012 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Problem solved.
It was caused by the resize command on the last line of the .profile script. RSE debug is then unable to execute commands.
Re: Problem with remote debugging [message #795392 is a reply to message #780084] Fri, 10 February 2012 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alexandr zatevalov is currently offline alexandr zatevalovFriend
Dear Honza!

I need your help in remote debugging...
Host: x86 + Windows/Debian + Eclipse + RSE + C++ code
Target: x86 + Debian + rseserver + gdb

What the kind project you create for this purposes?
What settings you are writing in preference?

Best regards,
Alexandr
Re: Problem with remote debugging [message #795395 is a reply to message #795392] Fri, 10 February 2012 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Alexander,

I'm sorry but I have no experiences with rseserver. I have done remote debugging with ssh support only. That means

- create new remote connection
- chose linux as a system type
- chose ssh variants in subsystem settings

then you should be able to create remote debug configuration using the connection you created

regards
Jan
Re: Problem with remote debugging [message #795419 is a reply to message #795395] Fri, 10 February 2012 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry, gdbserver, not rseserver)

I'm understanding about remote configuration...
But, first of all i must create c/c++ project...
In list i have some variants...
Executable project, Makefile Project etc....
What compiler i must to use from list?

Re: Problem with remote debugging [message #795426 is a reply to message #795419] Fri, 10 February 2012 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alexandr zatevalov wrote on Fri, 10 February 2012 08:08
sorry, gdbserver, not rseserver)

I'm understanding about remote configuration...
But, first of all i must create c/c++ project...
In list i have some variants...
Executable project, Makefile Project etc....
What compiler i must to use from list?

It depends on what you want to do.
Executable project will use Eclipse's own system to call compiler. Makefile project will let you to specify own Makefile.
Regarding compiler you have to select the one that supports your target, choose gcc if you are working on linux host, on windows you will need some crosscompiler.

regards
Jan
Re: Problem with remote debugging [message #795432 is a reply to message #795426] Fri, 10 February 2012 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i need to create simple hellow world project, compile for x86 (linux), debug it on target from host. that's all.

Best regards,
Alexander
Re: Problem with remote debugging [message #795453 is a reply to message #795432] Fri, 10 February 2012 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. I create C/C++ Project, in compilers list LinuxGCC only. i set it.
2. I create remote configuration, set remote path to application.
3. Compile a project.
4. Now i must copy binary to target? (!) in that folder, which i wrote in remote configuration?
5. Push remote debug button.

Right?

Best regards,
Alexander

Re: Problem with remote debugging [message #1384776 is a reply to message #780084] Sun, 01 June 2014 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nima Rahimi is currently offline Nima RahimiFriend
Hello Mr. Pohanka

I had exactly same problem and just want to thanks a lot
for writing this helpful entry.
Re: Problem with remote debugging [message #1786617 is a reply to message #780084] Tue, 08 May 2018 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saurabh jain is currently offline saurabh jainFriend
Hello Jan

Thank you very much for this solution.
Right now I am facing exactly same problem and as I am new to linux so do not know what exactly to do to solve this problem after reading your comments. Can you please describe it little bit in details what should I do to solve this problem. May be in form of commands I should run on target ?

Thanks you very much :)
Re: Problem with remote debugging [message #1786687 is a reply to message #1786617] Wed, 09 May 2018 12:48 Go to previous message
If i remember it correctly, my main issue was that I do not realized, that I need to fill absolute filepath in remote debug configuration. So eg. /root/mynewapp.

When I use this remote debug on embedded boards based on buildroot eclipse displays some error about missing locale but when you run it again it will work...
Previous Topic:Local Terminal ignores preferences (or how to source bash_profile)?
Next Topic:RSE Remote Search not working
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:01:23 GMT 2024