Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » Fun project for EDT...Life
Fun project for EDT...Life [message #759153] Sat, 26 November 2011 23:12 Go to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend
I've written an implementation of the game of Life from scratch using EDT. The "Life" I'm talking about here is the classic game devised by John Conway in 1970. (See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life for details.)

After putting the finishing touches on the EDT version I ported the game to RBD in order to see relative performance.

I strongly recommend the use of Google Chrome to run the game since it seems to have the fastest JavaScript engine but any browser should work.

EDT version:
www.dandarnellonline.com/LifeGameTC/GameBoard.html

RBD version:
www.dandarnellonline.com/LifeTC/GameBoard-en_US.html

Game features:
Set your own initial cell conditions (click any cell to set it on or off) or use the "Randomize" feature to create a random game board.

Use "Step" to proceed one iteration at a time or "Start" to run indefinitely.

Color changes help identify cells of great longevity.

Speed selection and iteration counter.

Use "Reset" to clear the board and counters.

The game board wraps around so cells at the top, bottom, and sides do influence cells on the opposite boundary.

(Apologies for the non-links...can't post links until I have posted at least five messages to the forum according to the error message I received. Lovely!)

Re: Fun project for EDT...Life [message #759165 is a reply to message #759153] Sun, 27 November 2011 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Added an option to select from a list of basic patterns (more of these to come), an option for multiple game board sizes, and a link to the Wikipedia article on Conway's Life game.

I know it is early in the game for EDT but the performance of the app compiled under RBD is significantly better. It will be interesting to see EDT improve in this area over time.

--Dan
Re: Fun project for EDT...Life [message #759635 is a reply to message #759165] Tue, 29 November 2011 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will Smythe is currently offline Will SmytheFriend
Dan - very cool!

It would be useful for you to document the code (and other) changes you made to 'port' the app from RBD to EDT -- this information will be useful to other existing EGL users.
Re: Fun project for EDT...Life [message #763863 is a reply to message #759635] Sat, 10 December 2011 19:13 Go to previous message

Life for EDT is now an open-source project that you can download and import into EDT:

https://sourceforge.net/p/lifeforegl/home/Home/

Previous Topic:What is the target runtime to use for RBD
Next Topic:Possible Suggestions for Tools
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:52:17 GMT 2024