Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Memory Analyzer » Large Heap Dump analysis - Facing issue
Large Heap Dump analysis - Facing issue [message #756565] Mon, 14 November 2011 10:56 Go to next message
Soumya  is currently offline Soumya Friend
Hi ,

I am trying to analyze an IBM Heap Dump(Production heap dump) which is 474 MB and is taking too much of time to calculate precise retained size in histogram , its calculating as 5-6 days to complete... Iam using MAT through eclise and changed xmx argument in eclipse.ini configuration to 1100 MB from 512 MB..but didnt help.

My System details
OS patform - windows XP
1 GB RAM.

Please let me know how can I overcome this issue.

Thanks,

Re: Large Heap Dump analysis - Facing issue [message #756787 is a reply to message #756565] Tue, 15 November 2011 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soumya  is currently offline Soumya Friend
Hi,
Request to please provide a suggestion or let me know if more information is expected.
Thanks,
Re: Large Heap Dump analysis - Facing issue [message #757092 is a reply to message #756787] Wed, 16 November 2011 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonathan Lawrence is currently offline Jonathan LawrenceFriend
Hi Soumya,

Large heap dumps can take some time to process in MAT, this is a known issue, and to some extent unavoidable given the nature of the tool and its operation.

However it seems possible that you are seeing a problem over and above normal processing.

To diagnose this further it will probably be necessary to have a copy of your phd file to be able to reproduce the problem. Would this be possible?

If so would you be able to make the dump available to download (e.g. via FTP) and send details for the download to our public support email address "javatool at uk.ibm.com"?

Thanks.
Re: Large Heap Dump analysis - Facing issue [message #757760 is a reply to message #756565] Mon, 21 November 2011 14:22 Go to previous message
Andrew Johnson is currently offline Andrew JohnsonFriend
Do you really need a precise retained size for every object?

Is it enough to get the minimum retained size for everything, then just the precise retained size for the interesting objects?

We could check the operation to see if it goes back to the PHD file for field/array refs - that would be slow.

Andrew Johnson
Previous Topic:null LEAKING ClassLoader
Next Topic:Is it possible to find out a class' generation using MAT?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 11:27:29 GMT 2024