Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Virgo web extender standalone (Making a project without Virgo server but just the web-extender capability)
Virgo web extender standalone [message #755654] Wed, 09 November 2011 08:41 Go to next message
Charlie Mordant is currently offline Charlie MordantFriend

Hi,

I would like to benefit of the Virgo web-extender capability without using Virgo server (I already use Pax to compile and run my projects, which is fully server agnostic).
Would it be possible to improve Virgo structure in order to make it possible?
This is for me a serious issue because I can't use any servlet3 compliant web container without brainstorming for a long time on the source code of one of these projects (Gemini web, Jetty 8/Tomcat 7, Spring-Dm/Virgo web-extender).

I made an example on Spring-DM that has this functionnality, you can use it for your tests:
http://hudson.osgiliath.net/job/orthank-sample%20Tag/ws/

In order to compile, you just need to have maven 3 and run: mvn clean install -DskipTests=true (integration tests are not stable for now).
Then, in order to launch run: mvn pax:provision -Dframework=equinox (or -Dframework=felix) and point your browser to http://localhost:8080/net.osgiliath.orthank-sample.java.web.simple_1.0.1.SNAPSHOT

You'll be able to say hello with web services.
You can desactivate ws client module to run it without ws.

Regards,

Charlie (tcharl on twitter, cmordant1@gmail.com on gtalk)
Re: Virgo web extender standalone [message #755665 is a reply to message #755654] Wed, 09 November 2011 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
How about running Gemini Web on the Virgo kernel?
Re: Virgo web extender standalone [message #755710 is a reply to message #755665] Wed, 09 November 2011 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Gemini web, why not. But it has dependency on Virgo server, and I want to keep server agnosticity (not being tied with Virgo).

[Updated on: Wed, 09 November 2011 11:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Virgo web extender standalone [message #755714 is a reply to message #755710] Wed, 09 November 2011 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see. To be precise, Virgo Kernel has no dependency on Virgo (Tomcat|Jetty) Server, but it seems you want to avoid all Virgo dependencies except the way it integrates Spring DM and the web.

I can't think of a way to do that without some radical refactoring of Virgo. That may be feasible in the future and some of the new Virgo Nano work may facilitate it, but it's not something we are planning to look at.

One alternative could be to use Gemini Naming for looking up OSGi services from web apps managed by Gemini Web, but best to discuss that over on the Gemini thread you started.

Re: Virgo web extender standalone [message #755729 is a reply to message #755714] Wed, 09 November 2011 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Let's move there!

[Updated on: Wed, 09 November 2011 12:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Virgo web extender standalone [message #755737 is a reply to message #755729] Wed, 09 November 2011 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Tomcat 7 (servlet 3) support is not negligeable, but I don't see any maven repo for gemini-web 2, is there any one?
Re: Virgo web extender standalone [message #755753 is a reply to message #755737] Wed, 09 November 2011 13:44 Go to previous message
Gemini Web is published to the Virgo Maven repo described in the FAQ.
Previous Topic:where is the maven repository for org.eclipse.virgo.util 3.0.1.RELEASE
Next Topic:eclipse 3.5.0M1 release?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 07:05:58 GMT 2024