Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » persisting EObjects on the web server (custom resourceSet or jpa/jdo annotations or something else?)
persisting EObjects on the web server (custom resourceSet or jpa/jdo annotations or something else?) [message #754112] Mon, 31 October 2011 20:11 Go to next message
Tom H is currently offline Tom HFriend
I have been using the ecore tools for generating my java objects, and I have been using a ResourceSet to persist my objects for development, however for live persistence I have not yet moved from the old school DAO pattern, where there is a DAO object which is a layer to a quite hard coded set of SQL statements.

I have been asked to migrate some projects to the Google App Engine platform, that have their models stored as ecore.

I have a fairly clear field to choose from here, but I am quite confused as to what I should be considering as an option.

It looks possible to generate JPA/JDO annotations for each of modelled classes and not use any of the Factory/Package/Resourceset functionality of EMF.

It seems that following that route though loses all the cool generated editor code, because none of them will be able to persist to the google datastore directly, or at least will require a data layer to do so.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated

Thanks.

Re: persisting EObjects on the web server (custom resourceSet or jpa/jdo annotations or something el [message #754115 is a reply to message #754112] Mon, 31 October 2011 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Taal is currently offline Martin TaalFriend
Hi Tom,
There are several options:
- Texo: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Texo which generates pojo's with jpa annotations/orm from ecore/xsd models, the
generated code are real pojos and can be persisted in a standard jpa way, it also provides emf back/from pojo
conversion, so great for webserver environments but it won't work with generated EMF editors (although rcp data binding
should work fine with Texo pojos also)
- Teneo: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Teneo/Hibernate which persists native EMF generated code using Hibernate, it can be
used within webserver environments as well as in the rcp (generated emf editors).
- CDO: http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDO: use cdo for the RCP's (emf generated editors) and just treat the web server google
app engine as another cdo client. CDO also has a hibernate store (http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDO_Hibernate_Store)

gr. Martin

On 10/31/2011 09:11 PM, Tom H wrote:
> I have been using the ecore tools for generating my java objects, and I have been using a ResourceSet to persist my
> objects for development, however for live persistence I have not yet moved from the old school DAO pattern, where there
> is a DAO object which is a layer to a quite hard coded set of SQL statements.
>
>
> I have been asked to migrate some projects to the Google App Engine platform, that have their models stored as ecore.
>
>
> I have a fairly clear field to choose from here, but I am quite confused as to what I should be considering as an option.
>
>
> It looks possible to generate JPA/JDO annotations for each of modelled classes and not use any of the
> Factory/Package/Resourceset functionality of EMF.
>
>
> It seems that following that route though loses all the cool generated editor code, because none of them will be able to
> persist to the google datastore directly, or at least will require a data layer to do so.
>
> Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated
>
> Thanks.
>
>
>

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite/Elver.org
Office: Hardwareweg 4, 3821 BV Amersfoort
Postal: Nassaulaan 7, 3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands
Cell: +31 (0)6 288 48 943
Tel: +31 (0)84 420 2397
Fax: +31 (0)84 225 9307
Mail: mtaal@springsite.com - mtaal@elver.org
Web: www.springsite.com - www.elver.org
Re: persisting EObjects on the web server (custom resourceSet or jpa/jdo annotations or something el [message #754164 is a reply to message #754115] Tue, 01 November 2011 06:40 Go to previous message
Tom H is currently offline Tom HFriend
Righto, thanks for that. I guess I have got to install those and see what works best for me.

Previous Topic:Resource.getAllContents() vs ResourceSet.getAllContents()
Next Topic:[xcore] Codegen in Xcore
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 25 22:34:52 GMT 2024