Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » A few questions regarding the more basic stuff
A few questions regarding the more basic stuff [message #724173] Sun, 11 September 2011 08:24 Go to next message
Just Mike is currently offline Just MikeFriend
Hello,

1) Can somebody please explain what is a site? i can't seem to find anywhere a proper definition of this term?
2) What is the purpose of the IViewSite interface?...it does not have any children (class or interface, as specified in the docs, this interface is not supposed to be extende); why define those two methods if there isn't a single class that implements them? what is the purpose of an IViewSite variable since that variable will not have any properties and it has only pure virtual methods? and there's no point in adapting to it either

I already looked through the docs but i can 't seem to find a concrete explanation..

Ok upon further documenting i think i may have found out what a site is: an object that gets associated with a workbench part (view or editor) by means of the init() method.. but what exactly happens to that reference of the site i dont know since Viewpart for example does not have a property that stores the reference to the site object..a link to a diagram or something would be much appreciated Very Happy

LE: Is the reference to the site object stored in some kind of register along with the reference to the object that created it?

LE2 www@eclipsezone@com/eclipse/forums/t92910.html
" The IViewPart.init method is called to initialize the context for the view. An IViewSite object is passed, and contains methods to get the containing page, window, and other services is passed. " What is the use since there is no implementing class?..

[Updated on: Sun, 11 September 2011 23:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A few questions regarding the more basic stuff [message #724339 is a reply to message #724173] Mon, 12 September 2011 06:36 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by:

On 2011-09-11 10:24, Just Mike wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 1) Can somebody please explain what is a site? i can't seem to find
> anywhere a proper definition of this term?
> 2) What is the purpose of the IViewSite interface?...it does not have
> any children (class or interface, as specified in the docs, this
> interface is not supposed to be extende); why define those two methods
> if there isn't a single class that implements them? what is the purpose
> of an IViewSite variable since that variable will not have any
> properties and it has only pure virtual methods? and there's no point in
> adapting to it either
>
> I already looked through the docs but i can 't seem to find a concrete
> explanation..

There exist some excellent articles about the basic stuff, e.g.

http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-UI-Workbench/workbench.html
http://www.eclipse.org/resources/resource.php?id=182
http://www.eclipse.org/resources/resource.php?id=131

HTH & Greetings from Bremen,

Daniel Krügler
Previous Topic:Require suggestion in RCP
Next Topic:Selecting RCP Project Disables Finish Button
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:12:24 GMT 2024