Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » using the trim() on Strings(using the trim() on Strings with "." as delimiter)
using the trim() on Strings [message #717001] Fri, 19 August 2011 03:42 Go to next message
vrm  is currently offline vrm Friend
On the EOL String primitive type , the split() does not seem to work with a "." as the delimiter.The same is the case with replace().
For instance :

var str:String = "hello.world";
var seq:Sequence;
seq = str.split('.');

From the above code,I expect the sequence to hold two objects,but that is not the case.
What am I missing here ?
Re: using the trim() on Strings [message #717103 is a reply to message #717001] Fri, 19 August 2011 10:20 Go to previous message
Louis Rose is currently offline Louis RoseFriend
vrm wrote on Thu, 18 August 2011 23:42
On the EOL String primitive type , the split() does not seem to work with a "." as the delimiter.The same is the case with replace().
For instance :

seq = str.split('.');

From the above code,I expect the sequence to hold two objects,but that is not the case.
What am I missing here ?

Hi vrm,

The short answer: to match a full stop with split or replace, use the following argument: "\\."

seq = str.split('\\.');

The long answer: the parameter to split() (and to replace()) is a Java regular expression. The full stop has special significance in regular expressions, so it needs to be escaped with a backslash, and we get: "\." However, the backslash is the Java escape character in a string literal, so we must escape the backslash, and we get: "\\."

Cheers,
Louis.
Previous Topic:cannot be read the detail 'width' from the ecore file using EOL
Next Topic:[Flock] error while executing migration strategy distributed via plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 06:10:01 GMT 2024