Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Programmatic Setup of Eclipse and plugins(using a Python script to setup Eclipse environment)
Programmatic Setup of Eclipse and plugins [message #716848] Thu, 18 August 2011 15:17 Go to next message
mdr  is currently offline mdr Friend
hello -

I am trying to see if there is a good approach to setting up my Eclipse environments programmatically using a Python script. Am on Ubuntu.

I use different Eclipse environments and I am downloading the Eclipse IDEs and programmatically untarring them into a directory.

I would like to set the workspace for these IDEs programmatically and also the plugins I am using.

For the plugins would it be best to just download them as well and then use the same script to untar or unzip into the plugins directory for the particular Eclipse IDE?

Or is there a way to add the name and web address to the 'Additional Software List' and then issue an install. If so then how would I 'Accept' the terms and conditions.

Also is there a repository that I could programmatically access to download the Eclipse tar files. This is not that important - but it would be great if I could just keep the addresses in a script and just run it as needed to setup my environment.

Maybe some aspects of this can be achieved but not all? Maybe there is a totally different approach to this? I do not want to use the Eclipse on Ubuntu - as I specifically use different Eclipse (all Indigo) for different things with different plugins.

Would appreciate your help in this matter.

Thanks.
Re: Programmatic Setup of Eclipse and plugins [message #716967 is a reply to message #716848] Thu, 18 August 2011 22:28 Go to previous message
Michael Pellaton is currently offline Michael PellatonFriend
Hi

> For the plugins would it be best to just download them as well and then
> use the same script to untar or unzip into the plugins directory for the
> particular Eclipse IDE?
Please no - unzipping is not installing!
You can use "os.popen" or much better "subprocess.call" to run the
p2director application which does all the installation work for you.

Michael
Previous Topic:How to remove a plugin? (indigo)
Next Topic:[Common Navigator] Problem markers are not shown
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:02:56 GMT 2024