Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » Is it Possible to Add New Features to the Shared Eclipse Install Area?
Is it Possible to Add New Features to the Shared Eclipse Install Area? [message #713780] Tue, 09 August 2011 03:33 Go to next message
Scott Gurney is currently offline Scott GurneyFriend
I just completed a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and now I'm installing Eclipse Indigo. (I was previously using Windows Vista Business x64 and Helios.)

Installing the base Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers package was very straightforward. Now, however, I've run into an installation problem which has become quite frustrating.

I have multiple user ID's on this PC with restricted levels of permissions, depending on the task. Only one user ID has Administrative privileges, e.g. write privileges to the programs' install directories.

My problem is this: I cannot get any added features, for example, Subclipse, to install to the main installation folder. They always install in the user folder, in this case, C:\Users\Admin\.eclipse\org.eclipse.platform_3.7.0_1709980481.

Is there any way to use Eclipse's Install New Software feature and have it put those files in the main install location?

It is impractical to sign-in to Windows using every User ID and install every new feature into each user's folder. This would take up a lot of unnecessary space and make it unlikely that all users would be in sync. For example, some would be able to use Subclipse and check out Subversion projects, others would not.

I have read the documentation regarding Eclipse multi-user installs, help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/multi_user_installs.html ** and help.eclipse.org/indigo/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/runtime-options.html#locations **. These didn't provide the help I was looking for. They talk about "Scenario #2 - shared install" which is what I want, I think. However, they don't say how you can get added features in the shared install folder using Install New Software. (I tried the -install command line argument and that doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever.)

It used to be the case that adding features meant downloading the packages separately and "dumping" them in the eclipse folder. Is that the only way out of my predicament?

Please help.

Scott

** the forum prevented me from putting a full hyperlink here because I haven't yet created 5 postings.
Re: Is it Possible to Add New Features to the Shared Eclipse Install Area? [message #1058369 is a reply to message #713780] Mon, 13 May 2013 18:16 Go to previous message
Che Bumagat is currently offline Che BumagatFriend
Did you find a solution for this?

I have the same scenario (though I'm running an RCP).

Anyway, I have the same multi user install scenario and when each user installs a their "own" plugins it goes into their respective user configuration directory. Which I think is fine.

But, there are plugins however that you wanted to be "common" for ALL users (e.g. Subclipse) and I wanted to figure out how to put that in the shared install area as well.

Appreciate your response.

Previous Topic:Convert Dropins to Update site
Next Topic:On a multi user setup, Is it possible to install a feature/plugin in the SHARED INSTALL AREA?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:26:40 GMT 2024