Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EMF Client » Want to contribute to ECP - a few questions
Want to contribute to ECP - a few questions [message #713688] Mon, 08 August 2011 19:42 Go to next message
Mike Haney is currently offline Mike HaneyFriend
We are beginning to use EMFStore and EMFClient heavily in a new project. Our usage will require several enhancements to ECP, which I would like to contribute back to the main project as I think they will be useful to others. I've never contributed to an open-source project before, but my company has actually given me the green light to do so, and I am excited to give back to the community. However, since I am basically a noob at contributing, forgive me if some of these questions are obvious.

First of all, I want to make sure we are using the latest sources. Are the Git repositories hosted at Eclipse the most up to date? They appear to be newer than the SVN repositories on the googlecode site.

Second, I assume the basic process to submit a bug report in bugzilla and then attach a patch? While doing that, what is the best way to manage our internal version of ECP, since we will need the changes immediately and can't afford to wait however long it takes for a committer to add our changes to the master branch?

Some of the changes we need to make are as follows - please let me know if any of these are already in progress, so we don't duplicate any work:

1) Add extension points for the navigator view to more precisely control what elements are displayed, what menu items are available, etc. We have several requirements here, and this will be a big part of the changes we need to make.

2) Add filter to the "New Model Element" dialog to control what elements are available at a given time, and also a mechanism to override the display names of the elements.

3) Ideally, I would like to create a set of code templates to control editor generation using the standard EMF generator. As much as possible, we would like to be able to specify editor behavior as part of the model (probably as attributes on model elements). As an example, say you want a particular type of contained references to show in the standard ECP editor as a listbox with an "Edit" button to add/remove references. Another common example would be another editor tab to manage those references. Obviously this can all be coded later, but as a modeler I would like to be able to specify attributes on my model elements that can be interpreted to generate these editing paradigms by default, instead of relying on other programmers to implement all of the editing (possibly in a way that breaks my intent when designing the model).

Thanks,

Mike

[Updated on: Mon, 08 August 2011 19:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Want to contribute to ECP - a few questions [message #714332 is a reply to message #713688] Wed, 10 August 2011 10:51 Go to previous message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Hi Mike,

this is great! I am sorry that the wiki pages are not in a good shape at
the moment, we are in the process of moving them from Google Code to
Eclipse.org. This page describes how to set up the repository for ECP:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/ECP_Git
To contribute to the project please open up a bugzilla and attach a
patch of your contribution:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=EMFT.emfclient
This allows us to review your contribution and commit it to the
repository (since only committers have write access). Also it is
important for the IP process to document you contribution.
Maybe it makes sense to discuss your contributions in a short telco on
Skype?

Cheers,
Maximilian

Am 08.08.2011 21:42, schrieb Mike Haney:
> We are beginning to use EMFStore and EMFClient heavily in a new
> project. Our usage will require several enhancements to ECP, which I
> would like to contribute back to the main project as I think they will
> be useful to others. I've never contributed to an open-source project
> before, but my company has actually given me the green light to do so,
> and I am excited to give back to the community. However, since I am
> basically a noob at contributing, forgive me if some of these questions
> are obvious.
>
> First of all, I am having trouble finding the latest source. The
> binaries we are using are 0.8.9.M3, which are the latest I have found
> (there are actually 2 different update sites on the googlecode page,
> depending on which page you are on - one of them has a much older version).
>
>
>
>
Previous Topic:How to register model in ECP current? (0.8x)
Next Topic:Invitation for discussion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 00:09:36 GMT 2024