Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Problems with "shared install" in Indigo(Can't install plugins when using a "shared install" in Indigo)
Problems with "shared install" in Indigo [message #709890] Thu, 04 August 2011 12:57 Go to next message
Dan Hentschel is currently offline Dan HentschelFriend
My development group uses a "shared install" of Eclipse, as described in the documentation page for "Eclipse multi-user installs". The problem that I am seeing is that, if I make the eclipse installation directory read-only, then I can't install any plugins. There are two problems encountered:

1) The indigo update site is not listed in the "Available Software Sites" preference page. This is a minor annoyance, since it can be added manually.

2) Every attempt that I have made to install a plugin fails with the error:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
  Software currently installed: Shared profile 1.0.0.1312461014861 (SharedProfile_epp.package.java 1.0.0.1312461014861)
  Missing requirement: Shared profile 1.0.0.1312461014861 (SharedProfile_epp.package.java 1.0.0.1312461014861) requires 'org.maven.ide.eclipse [1.0.0.20110607-2117]' but it could not be found

I have tried about a dozen different plugins, and they all fail with the above error message. If I open up permissions on the Eclipse install directory, then I am able to install those same plugins without any problems.

- dan
Re: Problems with "shared install" in Indigo [message #709902 is a reply to message #709890] Thu, 04 August 2011 13:11 Go to previous message
Dan Hentschel is currently offline Dan HentschelFriend
UPDATE:

I am seeing this same behavior if I specify a configuration directory on the command line, even if I don't change permissions on the Eclipse install directory:

./eclipse -configuration ~/.eclipse

I have tried wiping out my configuration directory and starting from a clean slate (to make sure that there is no Helios incompatibility lingering around) and that does not change the behavior. If I use a configuration directory other than the directory in the Eclipse install location, then I can't install any plugins.

- dan
Previous Topic:expansion button in variables view not retaining the expanded state
Next Topic:Does Eclipse 3.6.2 support RHEL 6.1?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:36:39 GMT 2024