Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » AMP » Escape tutorial Plug-in dependency issues (Continual problems with build path for Escape Java tutorial under AMP)
Escape tutorial Plug-in dependency issues [message #691203] Thu, 30 June 2011 23:45 Go to next message
Jonathan Gilligan is currently offline Jonathan GilliganFriend
This is a beginner's question. I'm probably doing something very wrong, but I can't figure out what. I'm fairly new to the Eclipse environment and it's been a number of years since I've used Java, although I've got many years of heavy C and C++ experience (probably dangerous since it can lead me to make bad assumptions). If someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong, I'd be grateful.

I have a clean install of Eclipse Indigo 3.7 (the bare bones Eclipse SDK version) under JRE 1.6.0_26 and 64-bit Windows 7. After I unzipped eclipse, I only installed the "AMP All in One SDK" package (version 0.9.0.v20110610-0008, without the 3D stuff) from the download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo update feed (and restarted eclipse after the install).

I try working through the tutorial that comes with the AMP SDK, for building an Eclipse Java model in the Escape perspective (starting with the first version of the CollaborationGame project) and Eclipse doesn't seem to get the plug-in dependencies right and it keeps giving me error message after error message about not being able to find things on the build path:

First, all of the import statements for org.ascape.* give errors such as "the import org.ascape.model.Scape cannot be resolved." and offering me the quick fix to import the package into my project. I need to do this one at a time for every Ascape or Escape package that I want to import. Is there a faster way to do this? Or is there something I should have done to manually configure Eclipse to get it to figure these things out for itself?

Next, once I get all the import statements correct, Eclipse starts reporting errors that various classes in the Ascape/Escape libraries can't find other classes they depend on: the compiler can't build the project because the build path is incomplete and it can't find class org.ascape.vis.view.ChartView and or resolve type org.eclipse.jface.viewers.ISelectionProvider, which is needed to compile the call to lattice.addView(overheadView) in CoordinationGame.createGraphicViews().

I keep manually adding appropriate jar files from my eclipse/plugins directory to the build path, but all I get is new complaints about the build path. I think the problem is that somehow there's some step I don't know about to get Eclipse to correctly set the plug-in dependencies when I'm creating a new Escape Java project.

What am I doing wrong here? I previously worked with the straight Ascape framework, building models as regular Java programs under Eclipse and had no problem getting them to compile and run. I can also successfully build the AMP Escape StupidModel1 project from the AMP 0.7.0 Agent Modeling Guide under the same Eclipse installation that's giving me so much trouble with the Java Escape project.
Re: Escape tutorial Plug-in dependency issues [message #692668 is a reply to message #691203] Tue, 05 July 2011 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Sorry for the delay..it appears that forum notifications aren't working. I'm assuming that you used the "New Escape Java Model" project. There does seem to be an issue here, sorry about that. There are two simple things you can do:

1. If you're doing a plain Eclipse model, probably the simplest thing to do is just to create a "New Agent Modeling Escape" project. The only difference for this project is that it adds the model builder for meta-abm models. You won't have any such models but it doesn't hurt to have it there.
2. Modify your Escape Java project, or create a new Plugin-in Project. Then, open META-INF/MANIFEST.MF, go to the dependencies tab, and add "org.eclipse.amp.escape.runtime".

Please let us know if that doesn't work!
icon7.gif  Re: Escape tutorial Plug-in dependency issues [message #695195 is a reply to message #691203] Mon, 11 July 2011 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Zuba is currently offline Martin ZubaFriend
I had the same problem and stumbled upon this post. Solution 2) works, thank you!
Re: Escape tutorial Plug-in dependency issues [message #756204 is a reply to message #695195] Fri, 11 November 2011 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edward MacKerrow is currently offline Edward MacKerrowFriend
I am having compile problems when I follow the Cheat Sheet "Loading Example Projects from Version Control". The issue seems to be that the plugin "org.eclipse.amp.escape.ascape.agf3d.GEF3DView" is not found. My dependencies page only shows the escape runtime at the moment, I do not see the agf3d plugin in my Eclipse Target. What am I doing wrong? I installed AMP from from the Indigo Modeling site. Thanks.
Re: Escape tutorial Plug-in dependency issues [message #756396 is a reply to message #756204] Sat, 12 November 2011 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Hi Ed,

You need to install the optional 3D stuff as well. See "Add External Sites" http://eclipse.org/amp/installing/updates.php.

Note that the other models should run just fine even if there is an issue with the example model. I'm also not sure that the example models on svn are up to date. You might want to grab them from git instead. You can find that here:

git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/amp/org.eclipse.amp.git

Under the "examples" directory.
Re: Escape tutorial Plug-in dependency issues [message #1721080 is a reply to message #692668] Sat, 23 January 2016 13:13 Go to previous message
Muhammad Ali is currently offline Muhammad AliFriend
I also faced the same issue. I followed added the org.eclipse.amp.escape.runtime in dependencies and remove the once causing error. The issue got resolved
Previous Topic:Installation
Next Topic:AMP installation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:42:54 GMT 2024