Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Remove special characters from generated word doc(Remove special characters from generated word doc)
Remove special characters from generated word doc [message #688007] Thu, 23 June 2011 17:10 Go to next message
anna.w.teittinen is currently offline anna.w.teittinenFriend
Hello,

I would like to know if anyone can provide input / solution to a problem I am encountering with the Word 2010 file that can be generated using the BIRT Report Engine library. From what I read in this forum and the BIRT Reporting Forum, the BIRT Report Engine API can only generate a word doc in Word 2010 format.

Here is my snippet of code (assume 'engine' has already been initialized) to generate a word 2010 doc file:
-----
IReportRunnable report = engine.openReportDesign(reportDesignName);
IRunAndRenderTask task = engine.createRunAndRenderTask(report);

IRenderOption options = new RenderOption();
options.setOutputFileName(fullPathOutputFilename);
options.setOutputFormat("doc");

task.setRenderOption(options);
-----

I have attached a small word doc ("test3.doc") generated using the above code.
This sample report simply has 2 grids, each with 2 cells, each cell has a label.

As you can see in the word doc, there appears to be some special characters as if to show where each grid and label are positioned.
Also, as I move the cursor (hover) over each row, there appears to be some special symbols on both the left and right of the row, moving as the cursor moves.

How can I get rid of (or hide) these? I just want to generate a word doc that will let me make modifications manually later on without seeing any special characters. When I create a word doc manually (via File->New), I do not see these special characters when I type.

Do I use the ITaskOption.setOption( String name, Object value ) method?
The api does not provide any valid parameter values to pass in.

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/viewvc.cgi/source/org.eclipse.birt.report.engine/src/org/eclipse/birt/report/engine/api/ITaskOption.java?view=markup&revision=1.2&root=BIRT_Project

Thanks so much in advance for your help.
--Anna

• Attachment: test3.doc
    (Size: 7.81KB, Downloaded 213 times)
Re: Remove special characters from generated word doc [message #688040 is a reply to message #688007] Thu, 23 June 2011 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

I believe what you are seeing is word tables. After you do File->New, then insert a table and see if it shows the same thing.

Jason
Re: Remove special characters from generated word doc [message #688062 is a reply to message #688040] Thu, 23 June 2011 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anna.w.teittinen is currently offline anna.w.teittinenFriend
Hello Jason,

Yes, you are right!

But do you know if we can hide the paragraph special formatting symbols from the generated word doc via a method call in the BIRT Report Engine API?

Can we use the ITaskOption.setOption( String name, Object value ) method to do this?

Thanks,
--Anna
Re: Remove special characters from generated word doc [message #688346 is a reply to message #688062] Fri, 24 June 2011 13:38 Go to previous message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

Anna,

I do not know of any option to turn this off. If you use a table in BIRT it is currently converted to a table in word.

Jason
Previous Topic:Data Set XPath Expression doesn't work
Next Topic:org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.JDBCException
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 04:11:07 GMT 2024