Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Problem with Ctrl+Shift+O
Problem with Ctrl+Shift+O [message #683992] Tue, 14 June 2011 20:17 Go to next message
Terry  is currently offline Terry Friend
Hello everyone! I'm learning to use the Ubuntu version of Eclipse to develop applications on the Android platform. At the 'Hello, Views' tutorial at Android Developers, a tip is provided to "press Ctrl (or Cmd) + Shift + O to import the required packages" after pasting code in to an Eclipse project.

Nothing happens (that I can see) when I press the hotkeys. Does this mean there were no required packages? What should I see? What's an example of a required package? And is there menu option equivalent to Ctrl+Shift+O?
Re: Problem with Ctrl+Shift+O [message #684138 is a reply to message #683992] Wed, 15 June 2011 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
Yes, it could mean there are no packages to import. It is available in menu item Source->Organize Imports.
Re: Problem with Ctrl+Shift+O [message #684390 is a reply to message #684138] Wed, 15 June 2011 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your reply. Could you or someone provide some sample code I could paste into a new java project that would show me Ctrl+Shift+O in action?

Edit:

Actually, I don't have the option 'Organize Imports' in the Source menu. There is Windows > Preferences > Java > Code Style > Organize Imports. But it should be set to whatever the default is. Java is listed in the main box, with a few dozen packages assigned to the java prefix.

Using Eclipse SDK, Version: 3.5.2

[Updated on: Wed, 15 June 2011 14:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem with Ctrl+Shift+O [message #684494 is a reply to message #684390] Wed, 15 June 2011 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
On 6/15/11 10:16 AM, Terry wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. Could you or someone provide some sample code I
> could paste into a new java project that would show me Ctrl+Shift+O in
> action?

List list = new ArrayList();

Ctrl+Shift+O should add these two lines near the top of the class:

import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.List;
Re: Problem with Ctrl+Shift+O [message #684638 is a reply to message #684494] Thu, 16 June 2011 00:46 Go to previous message
Thank you! That worked like a charm, and really helps to understand what is going on.
Previous Topic:Compare in Installation History presents almost empty dialog
Next Topic:No console out when running MinGW fortran executable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 07:53:52 GMT 2024