Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Failed to execute MI command(Eclipse and GDT/MI woes)
Failed to execute MI command [message #683459] Mon, 13 June 2011 19:47 Go to next message
Tom Rowe is currently offline Tom RoweFriend
I'm running Helios SR2 on RHEL6 32b with CDT 7.02, GDB common 7.0, IBM J9 VM 1.5.0.

I'm trying to debug a C++ module across JNI from a JUnit.

1. I launch my "JUnit" debug config and successfully breakpoint immediately after my System.loadLibrary(mysharedlib).

2. I then launch my "C/C++ Attach to Application" debug config, which is defined as:
- Application=Debug/libmysharedlib.so
- Build config=debug
- Debugger=gdb
- Non-stop mode=off (although this setting makes no difference)
This Attach to Application launches, I then attach it to javaw properly, and I see 13 suspended threads.

3. I then attempt to resume C++ thread #1 (state=suspended: user request) to no avail.
- Entering "info break" from the gdb console correctly shows my breakpoint in the C++ code. Further, I can successfully display code in my C++ module, so I know I have debug info present.
- Entering "c" from the gdb console gives: Warning: Cannot insert breakpoint 1. Error accessing memory address 0x2da6: Input/output error.

4. When I then attempt to resume the JUnit thread, I get the expected "org.eclipse.jdi.TimeoutException: Timeout occurred while waiting for packet 622. occurred resuming thread." as it appears all C++ threads are still suspended.

The workspace/.metadata/.log yields messages like:
!ENTRY org.eclipse.cdt.dsf 4 10005 2011-06-13 12:06:55.727
!MESSAGE Request for monitor: 'RequestMonitor (org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.concurrent.RequestMonitor@68446844): Status ERROR: org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb code=10004 Failed to execute MI command:
-exec-continue
Error message from debugger back end:
Warning:
Cannot insert breakpoint 1.
Error accessing memory address 0x2da6: Input/output error.
java.lang.Exception: Warning:
' resulted in an error.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb 4 10004 2011-06-13 12:06:55.727
!MESSAGE Failed to execute MI command:
-exec-continue
Error message from debugger back end:
Warning:

!STACK 0
java.lang.Exception: Warning:

at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.mi.service.command.AbstractMIControl$RxThread.processMIOutput(AbstractMIControl.java:824)
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.mi.service.command.AbstractMIControl$RxThread.run(AbstractMIControl.java:662)

I have a single Eclipse Java project with a C++ nature.
The Java build stuff is routine with a 1.5-level compliance setting.
The C++ code is:
- Compiled with options: -I/opt/ibm/java2-i386-50/include -I/usr/local/gcc32-i386-linux/i386-linux/include -O0 -g3 -gdwarf-2 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0
- Linked with options: -L/usr/local/gcc32-i386-linux/i386-linux/lib -shared -Wl,-soname=libmysharedlib.so.0

I'm really stuck. It appears to me that CDT is not properly interfacing with GDB/MI. What can I do here?

Thanks in advance for any help..

Tom
Re: Failed to execute MI command [message #683541 is a reply to message #683459] Tue, 14 June 2011 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend

> - Entering "info break" from the gdb console correctly shows my breakpoint in the C++ code. Further, I can successfully display code in my C++ module, so I know I have debug info present.

What is breakpoint #1 in this output?

> - Entering "c" from the gdb console gives: Warning: Cannot insert breakpoint 1. Error accessing memory address 0x2da6: Input/output error.

This is a GDB error. It needs to set breakpoint 1 but for some reason, is is unable to change the memory to insert the breakpoint.
Who set this breakpoint? Was it you or was it CDT?

Marc
Re: Failed to execute MI command [message #683753 is a reply to message #683541] Tue, 14 June 2011 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Rowe is currently offline Tom RoweFriend
> What is breakpoint #1 in this output? Who set this breakpoint? Was it you or was it CDT?
Breakpoint #1 is a breakpoint I set in Eclipse/CDT within the C++ code I'm trying to debug from a source file in the C++ perspective. I set both the Java and C++ breakpoints prior to any debugging described above. I've tried moving the C++ breakpoint around during my debugging attempts, but the specific location does not matter. As I mentioned previously, entering "info break" from the gdb console (at step #3) correctly lists my breakpoint #1 in the C++ code, so it seems Eclipse/CDT does interact with gdb correctly in this respect.

The real issue is that I am unable to resume (F8 or 'c') any of the initially suspended gdb threads when the gdb debug session starts. These threads are NOT stopped at any of my breakpoints. Rather, this initial suspension seems mandated by the Eclipse/CDT environment as part of "C/C++ Attach to Application" debug config processing. My guess is that resume processing is blocked/precluded because of the "Warning: Cannot insert breakpoint 1. Error accessing memory address 0x2da6: Input/output error." condition..but I can not tell.

Thanks for your help..

Tom
Re: Failed to execute MI command [message #683823 is a reply to message #683753] Tue, 14 June 2011 13:28 Go to previous message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
> The real issue is that I am unable to resume (F8 or 'c') any of the initially suspended gdb threads when the gdb debug session starts.
> These threads are NOT stopped at any of my breakpoints. Rather, this initial suspension seems mandated by the Eclipse/CDT environment
> as part of "C/C++ Attach to Application" debug config processing.

When attaching to a process, GDB automatically stops all the threads. In the next eclipse release (coming June 22nd), if you choose
non-stop mode, then CDT will tell GDB not to stop all the threads on an attach; but for Helios, GDB does stop them.

> My guess is that resume processing is blocked/precluded because of
> the "Warning: Cannot insert breakpoint 1. Error accessing memory address 0x2da6: Input/output error." condition..but I can not tell.

Yes, this is the problem. GDB needs to insert the breakpoints before continuing the execution, but for some reason it cannot access
the memory. You will need to figure out why. How about removing your breakpoint and then doing the resume? Does that help?
Then try to set you breakpoint again...

You can also try to reproduce this in a GDB session outside of Eclipse to figure out what is going on.
You can see all the GDB commands sent by Eclipse in the 'gdb traces' console. See:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ#I.27ve_been_asked_for_.27gdb_traces.27.2C_where_can_I_find_them.3F

Marc
Previous Topic:Debug with terminal
Next Topic:Problems with Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 06:19:52 GMT 2024