Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 » How to convert Visio .vsd into Eclipse UML(i have a new visio file and want to import and modify it in Eclipse)
How to convert Visio .vsd into Eclipse UML [message #664790] Tue, 12 April 2011 03:17 Go to next message
Brad Rogers is currently offline Brad RogersFriend
tried posting this elsewhere, hopefully this is the right forum?

Im new to Eclipse, new to UML (heard of it long ago but never had to use it until now) running Windows XP and have a newer visio UML drawing that my Visio v 2002 cannot open. The goal is to open and use the Eclipse tools to continue working on it. But How?

Is there a way to do this directly in Eclipse? It might be an interesting programming exercise but i kind of need the file opened to be used right now.

I searched and found a website that offers some kind of intermediate translation from VSD into ? and then ? into the Eclipse format but that website utility could not crunch the new file version apparently.

But finding a tool or a way to convert or parse and end up with the uml in Eclipse, this is the goal.

thanks

Re: How to convert Visio .vsd into Eclipse UML [message #664793 is a reply to message #664790] Tue, 12 April 2011 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rafael Chaves is currently offline Rafael ChavesFriend
See:

http://modeling-languages.com/content/xmi2-tool-exchanging-u ml-models-among-case-tools

which was announced on the newsgroup last year.

I doubt you will find anything @Eclipse.org that does that out of the box.

If you want to write a translator yourself, we can help with that, provided you can can ask specific questions and show sample input models etc.
Re: How to convert Visio .vsd into Eclipse UML [message #664872 is a reply to message #664790] Tue, 12 April 2011 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad VarnicaFriend
Your graphical presentation will be lost and your model valid in UML 1;x is certainly not anymore valid in UML 2.x

I had the same problem. The trick I did was to look atr the original model and recreate it manually into EclipseUML2 metamodel using the UML Editor. You don't need to use a tool but can directly hard coded it into the model with an editor giving a visual view like a tree. It was important to do it manually because I was able to fix UML 1.x to UML 2 upgrade which can not be done by transformation.
The job was pretty fast because even for very large model you will not need more than few days to recreate a clean UML 2 model.
Re: How to convert Visio .vsd into Eclipse UML [message #667478 is a reply to message #664790] Fri, 29 April 2011 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brad Rogers is currently offline Brad RogersFriend
Thanks Rafael, thanks Vlad,

OK, so i am going to simply install and run UML2 on Eclipse, and manually enter the other diagram (also UML2)

The problem? I CANNOT FIGURE OUT how to make a visual designer work in Eclipse, I've tried countless hours to extreme pain and am not able to figure out how to get any class diagram designer going. I have downloaded 100s of "plug ins" and anything i can find with UML in the text, hoping something will provide a UML design interface.

I downloaded a program on sourceforge called 'tiny UML' and within 30 seconds had the visual designer working fine. IN Eclipse its been near 30-40 hours on 3 different pc machines, with this one having 4 different Eclipse runtime downloaded folders, and countless plugins; i have followed steps on how to get uml working, following to the letter; I can get a text only interface to work; but a "Visio" esque UI with blocks, connectors etc? have not been able to figure it out in Eclipse. Does such a thing even exist?

Thanks for any guidance on this, if its obvious and i missed it? Id really like to know.
Re: How to convert Visio .vsd into Eclipse UML [message #667881 is a reply to message #664790] Mon, 02 May 2011 15:04 Go to previous message
Thomas Neustupny is currently offline Thomas NeustupnyFriend
I too failed to install UML2 Tools in eclipse, but I succeeded with MDT Papyrus, which also uses eclipse UML2 and thus creates the same models. Furthermore, this also holds for the standalone tool ArgoUML (latest developer release started with argouml2.bat/sh script).
Previous Topic:Installing Eclipse & UML2 software
Next Topic:MOF Profiling
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 01:18:32 GMT 2024