Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Difference between EGit and JGit(Why is there no forum for JGit)
Difference between EGit and JGit [message #660163] Thu, 17 March 2011 07:51 Go to next message
AvRR  is currently offline AvRR Friend
From my understanding EGit and JGit are totally different (well EGit depends on JGit, but JGit is not related to eclipse), so my questions

-- Is my understanding correct:? Do I need to have Eclipse to use JGit?

-- Is there any documentation of JGit that does not refer to Eclipse or EGit, as I am really not interested in eclipse Git integration but rather using Git repositories in my Java applications (non-Eclipse projects)

Re: Difference between EGit and JGit [message #660170 is a reply to message #660163] Thu, 17 March 2011 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Halstrick is currently offline Christian HalstrickFriend
your understanding is correct: EGit depends on JGit and JGit is independent from any eclipse/Egit components. You can use only JGit from inside your standard java application. There are already
some java apps which do so (e.g. Gerrit)

For documentation: I would start here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/JGit/User_Guide. A nice place to find code snippets are the tests classes for our API: http:// egit.eclipse.org/w/?p=jgit.git;a=tree;f=org.eclipse.jgit.tes t/tst/org/eclipse/jgit/api;h=bbacdb7dd9d2b3194353f370107ca3f 96bc35a88;hb=refs/heads/master

Ciao
Chris
Re: Difference between EGit and JGit [message #660177 is a reply to message #660170] Thu, 17 March 2011 09:10 Go to previous message
AvRR  is currently offline AvRR Friend
thanks that reply is what I was looking for.
Previous Topic:[help ] new to JGit
Next Topic:Published exercises for "Effective Git" tutorial at EclipseCon
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:04:29 GMT 2024