Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Memory Analyzer » Analyzing a tomcat instance started using sysdeo
Analyzing a tomcat instance started using sysdeo [message #654913] Thu, 17 February 2011 15:16 Go to next message
Diego Amicabile is currently offline Diego AmicabileFriend
Hi everybody,

I'd like to connect to a tomcat instance which I started inside of Eclipse using the Sysdeo plugin and acquire its head dump. Regrettably, in the Acquire Head Dump Dialog my tomcat instance is not listed.
I can't connect to the tomcat instance when I start it from the command line either. It is not listed. But I can connect to it using jmap. So I am stuck with creating a heap dump using jmap and reading it with the plugin.

Regards
Diego Amicabile

[Updated on: Thu, 17 February 2011 15:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Analyzing a tomcat instance started using sysdeo [message #654938 is a reply to message #654913] Thu, 17 February 2011 17:04 Go to previous message
Jonathan Lawrence is currently offline Jonathan LawrenceFriend
Memory Analyzer uses jps (for Oracle JVMs) to obtain the list of eligible JVMs for the heap dump acquire facility. For this you need a suitable locally installed JDK with jps and jmap.

It may also be necessary to configure the Memory Analyzer heap dump acquire mechanism to specify the location of the JDK. This is done via the File > Acquire Heap Dump > Configure dialog. Select the HPROF jmap dump provider and provide a suitable value for -jdkhome.

The following context-sensitive help is provided in the tool:
Generates a binary HPROF heap dump using jmap.

Arguments:

-jdkhome
JDK directory
This heap dump provider needs a JDK from which it can call jps and jmap. If Memory Analyzer is started with a JRE one may need to configure the JDK for the heap dump provider.
If no JDK is specified the tool will try calling just 'jps' and 'jmap'

If this does not work, you can enable debug logging in Memory Analyser to obtain more information about the error.
Previous Topic:Stacktraces while parsing heap
Next Topic:What's the best way to package and share OQL queries
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:34:50 GMT 2024